cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think it is also clear who has done a better job. BM certainly has done a better job, you can't really argue against results. However, you are crazy if you think that Utah was in a better situation than BYU when the coaches took over. Utah lost an insane amount of talent after the Fiesta Bowl year and had to rebuild. Say what you want about Crowton, but he recruited good players. He just didn't know how to put them in a position to succeed.

Meyer on the other hand did a pretty piss poor job recruiting to Utah. Look at who Utah is playing right now, it is mostly guys from the post-Meyer recruiting classes. The guys that Meyer recruited pretty much flamed out quickly.
I agree with what you say except for the first two sentences. How can you say that given what follows in your post? Do you think you can assess a "good job" without taking into account the hand that the coach was dealt when he took over? For all we know Crowton would have done just as well as BM as he was rebuilding, and was recruiting well (unlike Giacoletti, for example, who didn't recruit hardly at all). Even Unga was a Crowton recruit, I bet.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree with what you say except for the first two sentences. How can you say that given what follows in your post? Do you think you can assess a "good job" without taking into account the hand that the coach was dealt when he took over? For all we know Crowton would have done just as well as BM as he was rebuilding, and was recruiting well (unlike Giacoletti, for example, who didn't recruit hardly at all). Even Unga was a Crowton recruit, I bet.
The Pusherman was a BM recruit.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The Pusherman was a BM recruit.
He's a sophomore. I bet Crowton had been in touch with him and had him nearly sewed up.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He's a sophomore. I bet Crowton had been in touch with him and had him nearly sewed up.
The Pusherman committed to Urban Meyer, and then later changed his commitment. Crowton may have had contact with him, but it was Reynolds who really got the Pusherman to BYU.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Pusherman committed to Urban Meyer, and then later changed his commitment. Crowton may have had contact with him, but it was Reynolds who really got the Pusherman to BYU.
OK, I'll bite. "Pusherman" = ??
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I think it is also clear who has done a better job. BM certainly has done a better job, you can't really argue against results. However, you are crazy if you think that Utah was in a better situation than BYU when the coaches took over. Utah lost an insane amount of talent after the Fiesta Bowl year and had to rebuild. Say what you want about Crowton, but he recruited good players. He just didn't know how to put them in a position to succeed.

Meyer on the other hand did a pretty piss poor job recruiting to Utah. Look at who Utah is playing right now, it is mostly guys from the post-Meyer recruiting classes. The guys that Meyer recruited pretty much flamed out quickly.
Yeah I must be crazy to think a program that was mired in a 3 season losing streak was in a worse situation than a program that just came off of a BCS Win.

That's so crazy.

I will say that I do think KWhit is a pretty good recruiter. His downfall though is his undying loyalty to Andy Ludwig. I like Kyle, I think he's a good coach, but I'm not a fan of Ludwig regardless of them starting to use Darrell Mack. The guy is too schizo...ala Crowton and I think is hurting their potential,,,cause they've got a lot of talent offensively to be resorting to bizarre play calls and not harnessing the strengths of what they have.

*EDIT* -- I will agree that Kyle did take on a very difficult mantle of unrealistic expectations following the Fiesta Bowl year.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-26-2007 at 05:49 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It sounds like a Ute Fan "show of respect" for Unga, but not because he pushed them all around LES on saturday. Kind of low brow if you ask me.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Pusherman is slang for a drug dealer, considering that Unga an admitted former drug dealer I figured it is an appropriate nickname.

Thank Curtis Mayfield for the nickname.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yeah I must be crazy to think a program that was mired in a 3 season losing streak was in a worse situation than a program that just came off of a BCS Win.

That's so crazy.

I will say that I do think KWhit is a pretty good recruiter. His downfall though is his undying loyalty to Andy Ludwig. I like Kyle, I think he's a good coach, but I'm not a fan of Ludwig regardless of them starting to use Darrell Mack. The guy is too schizo...ala Crowton and I think is hurting their potential,,,cause they've got a lot of talent offensively to be resorting to bizarre play calls and not harnessing the strengths of what they have.

*EDIT* -- I will agree that Kyle did take on a very difficult mantle of unrealistic expectations following the Fiesta Bowl year.
Look at all the Utes lost. Look at the quality of recruits that Meyer brought into the program. The cupboard was pretty much bare when Whittingham took the program over.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pusherman is slang for a drug dealer, considering that Unga an admitted former drug dealer I figured it is an appropriate nickname.

Thank Curtis Mayfield for the nickname.
LOL. Gotcha.

I had KSL Sportsbeat for Saturday recorded on my DVR. I kept rewinding and replaying that last touchdown run by Unga. The way he lowered his shoulder and obliterated that Ute defender at the goal line was a work of art.