cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Tex, that's a hilarious avatar.
Yes, agreed. I love that avatar.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #32
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
It is interesting for sure. I'm sure many of my posts could have been construed as petty and bitter, but this one not at all. Look I have come around on Austin Collie. I am very happy he made that statement, because the follow up with his white Mormon oppression is pure comedic gold.

This is right on the level of Marty Johnson complaining about football player hating gangs up at Utah.
I think you need to go back and read the article again. I didn't see anything in there referring to "white Mormon oppression."

Perhaps you are referencing this comment:

"I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people take something like that and blow it up. I really think it's because I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University. Anybody else says that from any other team and it's just 'how spiritual that guy is.'"

He's right, if he were a black, born again Christian, from the bible belt playing at Texas, nobody would have thought twice about what he said. You are AGAIN misconstruing what he said to twist the intent of his statement into something you can mock.

Utes lost, Collie hasn't said anything out of line, get over it.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #33
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I think you need to go back and read the article again. I didn't see anything in there referring to "white Mormon oppression."

"I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people take something like that and blow it up. I really think it's because I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University. Anybody else says that from any other team and it's just 'how spiritual that guy is.'"

He's right, if he were a black, born again Christian, from the bible belt playing at Texas, nobody would have thought twice about what he said. You are AGAIN misconstruing what he said to twist the intent of his statement into something you can mock.

I think a little mockery is fair...after all I still mock Kurt Warner for his post superbowl victory exclamation, "THANK YOU JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUS!"
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #34
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I think a little mockery is fair...after all I still mock Kurt Warner for his post superbowl victory exclamation, "THANK YOU JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUUUS!"
Fair enough, but you didn't have to twist around anything Warner said to find the amusing material. If mpfunk wants to mock Collie that's fine, although I think he needs to at least make some effort to stick to the facts.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #35
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I agree the mockery I have read today has been funny. The bitter whining and self righteous "This young man does not represent the LDS Church and the LDS Church should shut down BYU sports" was funny as well, but for a different reason.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree the mockery I have read today has been funny. The bitter whining and self righteous "This young man does not represent the LDS Church and the LDS Church should shut down BYU sports" was funny as well, but for a different reason.
This brought a smile to my lips:

http://www.utefans.net/archive.php?id=4166&action=View

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #37
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

That was pretty funny.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #38
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

People are blowing it up because "I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University." Let's see he says this is all because he is Mormon (check), and white (check). I guess he is saying he is being singled out because he is a picked on white Mormon kid. This is particularly funny coming from him considering how he walks around all blinged out.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #39
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
People are blowing it up because "I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University." Let's see he says this is all because he is Mormon (check), and white (check). I guess he is saying he is being singled out because he is a picked on white Mormon kid. This is particularly funny coming from him considering how he walks around all blinged out.
Do you pretend to be irrational, or does it just come naturally?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #40
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Do you pretend to be irrational, or does it just come naturally?
I think it is quite easy here. Let's take Collie's quote piece by piece.

First he says people are making it an issue only because he is a white Mormon from BYU.
He follows that up by saying that if anyone else (someone who isn't a white Mormon from BYU) said what he said they would be telling him how spiritual the guy is.

I would say it is pretty easy when you actually read the statement, that he is saying he is being picked on because he is a white Mormon from BYU. I did throw in the upper class thing for effect.

You know when the Utes say stupid things, like Marty Johnson talking about football player hating gangs, I laugh at them instead of trying to claim they said something different.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote