cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm curious how many PAC-10 football fans could say they've seen a regular season Georgia game or give a one sentence summary of their team prior to the Sugar Bowl. Or West Virginia. Or Kansas.

Similary I'm curious how many SEC fans could say the same of ASU. Or Missouri. Or Boston College.
Regarding SEC, they don't have CBS on the west coast?

I still occasionally get people who think that BYU is in the WAC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Regarding SEC, they don't have CBS on the west coast?

I still occasionally get people who think that BYU is in the WAC.
Occaionally?? Heck they say it on sportscenter or while calling a game all the time. I have met people who don't know that the U of U and BYU are two different schools.

On the other hand, my youngest son who is a pretty big sports fan didn't realize the following. Baylor was a BCS team. Arkansas was in the SEC. The Big Ten has 11 teams. Missouri isn't in the Big 10. Stanford has had a winning football team in it's history. There were some other things, but I can't remember them.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Occaionally?? Heck they say it on sportscenter or while calling a game all the time. I have met people who don't know that the U of U and BYU are two different schools.

On the other hand, my youngest son who is a pretty big sports fan didn't realize the following. Baylor was a BCS team. Arkansas was in the SEC. The Big Ten has 11 teams. Missouri isn't in the Big 10. Stanford has had a winning football team in it's history. There were some other things, but I can't remember them.
If he knows what "fuscia" and "teal" mean, then I would worry. (I still don't know what they are). I take it he is not married and isn't interested in dating.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If he knows what "fuscia" and "teal" mean, then I would worry. (I still don't know what they are). I take it he is not married and isn't interested in dating.

Not married, he doesn't mind dating.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #35
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'm curious how many PAC-10 football fans could say they've seen a regular season Georgia game or give a one sentence summary of their team prior to the Sugar Bowl. Or West Virginia. Or Kansas.

Similary I'm curious how many SEC fans could say the same of ASU. Or Missouri. Or Boston College.
Really? I think any fan who pays a decent amount of attention to college football should be able to say they have seen each of the teams you listed above in at least one game. I have seen all of them play, and some of them multiple times. I have definitely watched their highlights with interest on ESPN when I missed their games. Do you honestly think that is so rare?

I bet I have seen a game with every single top 25 team this year (or at least a good portion of the game). Who here hasn't that considers themselves to be an avid college football fan? It was a lot harder living on the east coast, because games were so much earlier. Now, it is a piece of cake in Pac 10 land.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The only team that Tex listed that I had not seen was ASU, until their recent bowl fiasco. However I did know that they were led by D. Erickson, and they were a plucky team that was very close to going to the Rose Bowl. I knew a sentence worth of information.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Really? I think any fan who pays a decent amount of attention to college football should be able to say they have seen each of the teams you listed above in at least one game. I have seen all of them play, and some of them multiple times. I have definitely watched their highlights with interest on ESPN when I missed their games. Do you honestly think that is so rare?
If Mike's criteria of "on the radar" includes ESPN highlights, then I'll agree with him.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If Mike's criteria of "on the radar" includes ESPN highlights, then I'll agree with him.
Cali Coug's presence here is simply so that he can disagree with you some more. Stop replying to him.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Cali Coug's presence here is simply so that he can disagree with you some more. Stop replying to him.
No, in this case it is just to state the obvious (since you seem to be ignoring it). I think there are tons of fans who watch games with top 25 teams whenever they have the chance. BYU is a top 25 team, and people can't watch them (absent the bowl game or an occasional non-conference game). That is a problem for BYU.

Expand the issue to ESPN highlights and the effect is even more profound. BYU is probably the least discussed top 25 team right now, and has been all year, on ESPN. Most fans get their television information on teams through ESPN. That is also a problem. ESPN doesn't appear to want to talk about BYU because of the MWC contract with CSTV (extrapolating a bit, since they talked about BYU much more when the MWC was with ESPN).

I am actually surprised you or Tex disagree with any of this. It seems pretty obvious to me.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am actually surprised you or Tex disagree with any of this. It seems pretty obvious to me.
Cali, obviously being on TV more is better than less. Thanks for that observation. I was just commenting that I think Mike expects too much from college fandom.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote