cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I would tell them I will obey their rules because those are the rules of the school, but don't ask me to act like or tell anyone I believe they come from God.
What kind of bizarre hypothetical are you dreaming up here? Where would anyone have to declare that the rules come from God?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Did any of those rules conlfict with your basic belief system or more importantly did anyone indicate they came from God. I realize in the services one may be more afraid of ones superior than God, but it isn't a faith issue is it.

By the way, the hardest working companions I had were from Idaho. They were the hardest workers.
Yes many of them did conflict with my basic belief system. Such as the rule that I couldn't use my trash can between the hours of 0715-0915 conflicted with my understanding of the purpose of a trash can being to store garbage.

There are many other examples.

As far as faith goes, I was on a flight from DC to Newburgh the day before I "outprocessed" to serve my mission, and sitting the row in front of me was the Superintendent. He recognized me as a cadet even though I was in civies. He began a conversation with me until I dropped I was going back to quit. He wheeled around and began to "resolve my concerns." Upon learning I was just going on an LDS mission to England he carried on about the vivid colors of England, he was a former Rhodes Scholar, and how a study completed had concluded that RMs do 33% better after their missions than before.

He was from Texas and his first name was Howard, I don't think he considered Baylor though.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What kind of bizarre hypothetical are you dreaming up here? Where would anyone have to declare that the rules come from God?
So now I am not allowed to dream up hyotheticals. Seems to be a lot of animosity building between the evangleical faith and the mormon faith. I hear people say all the time they expect players, members and non-members to represent our faith and what it stands for. I had a parent of a non-member player tell me point blank she was not happy at all that her kid was expected to do that.

So my dream up is not that much of a stretch. However, I know your stance on the subject and appreciate it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

AS a freshman at BYU I had the chance to travel around to many universities including Baylor and I can tell you that Baylor was the only place that was close to BYU in terms of attractiveness of the female students.

Waco sucked as a town, however, but I was never too fond of Provo, either, although it was more scenic.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
AS a freshman at BYU I had the chance to travel around to many universities including Baylor and I can tell you that Baylor was the only place that was close to BYU in terms of attractiveness of the female students.

Waco sucked as a town, however, but I was never too fond of Provo, either, although it was more scenic.

How long ago were you at BYU. Someone has told me the attractiveness level has taken a real hit over the last several years. However, I know some gals who have gone there that are daughters of some friends and they are very pretty girls.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Where I went to college there were a lot of meaningless rules. I developed a strong distaste for authority and stupid rules. It took me a while on my mission to adjust to respecting authority and believing rules were relevant. Luckily I was blessed with a mission president from Idaho who taught me the parable of the stupid cow. It, literally, changed my life.
My NRST Bible omitted that parable. Please repeat it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
How long ago were you at BYU. Someone has told me the attractiveness level has taken a real hit over the last several years. However, I know some gals who have gone there that are daughters of some friends and they are very pretty girls.
They got big smiles?

If not I understand some doctors can help with smiles if they negatively impact uhhhhhh self-esteem.....From what I have, AHEM, heard and not seen some of those smiles can go from negatively impacting self esteem to negatively impacting one's lower back and perhaps even contributing to bodacious epidemics of scoliosis.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My NRST Bible omitted that parable. Please repeat it.
The stupid cow got through a fence line into a wheat field and ate until bloated and thus killed itself. Fences are like rules. If you don't want to be a fatass be obedient.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
The stupid cow got through a fence line into a wheat field and ate until bloated and thus killed itself. Fences are like rules. If you don't want to be a fatass be obedient.
Of course my interpretation would be the cow blindly followed the rule that he wanted to eat. Thus he did not have the ability to stop and think why the fence was there and what would be the consequence of blindly following his instincts.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If the fence lined a corn field, I'd let the cow in there myself to eat as much as it wanted. Corn fed cows make for better steaks.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote