cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Northern Iowa.

Somewhere out there, BYU71 is crapping a brick right now.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Why were people still speculating it might be a decent opponent. Bronco said "it's exactly what we need". That's 100% certainty a crappy team, based on his prior comments. If not, he would have said something like "we've made a deal and it's not along the same lines as I was talking about before but we're excited about it" or whatever.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Mendenhall better deliver a chance for 71 to go to a BCS bowl venue just to exit a tiddy bar in Nawlins wearing BYU paraphanalia so some old lady from the Baton Rouge 2nd ward can be offended. Or maybe it will be one in Phoenix so some sister in Zion from the Mesa 345678th ward can be offended. I think ward of origin and BCS venue is immaterial as long as the two saliant events occur which are 71 exiting a tiddy bar wearing BYU paraphanalia and an active mother in Zion taking offense to his breaking his unbreakable 20 dollar bill in a business of illrepute.

Mendenhall has made the purpose of this game a BCS run. He better deliver. If BYU doesn't make a BCS game, give me a better home opponent.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Why on earth would he schedule this game? Seriously. If you schedule a lower division school, you get a real crappy one that you have ZERO chance to lose. So, what does BYU get out of this? They beat them badly...people say that it was expected. You barely beat them...people laugh. You lose to them...people really laugh. All of this occurs with it helping not one bit for the whole season. Yeah, it can count to being bowl eligible, but nobody sees that being a prob next year.

Schedule a bad NCAA team and at least it counts. Sorry, that scheduling makes no sense to me and I say the same thing when Utah does it, such as with Weber State...though that makes more sense than the BYU game simply because Weber State is much worse than Northern Iowa as well as at least its a school with local ties. Still hate it though.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."

Last edited by UteStar; 01-14-2008 at 10:16 PM.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default No Iowa

Quote:
is a good team. Better than a lot of MWC teams. It will be a good tuneup if we win.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
is a good team. Better than a lot of MWC teams. It will be a good tuneup if we win.
There is not a team in the MWC that if they played NIU 10 times would not win at least 6.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
There is not a team in the MWC that if they played NIU 10 times would not win at least 6.
I agree but Northern Iowa beats Utah state 7 out of 10 times if not more. But at least Utah state is division 1.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You have to look at it from Gerdy's point of view: BYU, being the bestest team in the history of college football would only schedule teams that are gooder than great, except, of course, the University of Satan which is located on the hill in SLC.

In other words, BYU is the only MWC team that could ever beat No. Iowa.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I really don't like Northern Iowa or Boise State. A D1AA opponent that's better than many D1A teams and a WAC team that's better than most BCS teams. Does Holmoe know anything about risk vs. reward?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I am more excited about UNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I agree but Northern Iowa beats Utah state 7 out of 10 times if not more. But at least Utah state is division 1.
than Eastern Washington.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote