cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

Spencer is the better of the two Hafoka brothers. He is bigger, stronger, and faster. I believe he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school but he has been gone for 3 years since he went on his mission in October of what would have been his freshman year. I think he will be an impact down the road but is still pretty raw having been out of action for so long. A red shirt will do him good.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Ashworth will 100% not redshirt unless he gets injured. Now Hafoka and/or Chambers are RS possibilities.
No clue how accurate this is. Based on what's being said about him from spring practice, it sounds right. Still, with the bevy of talent at WR, a red-shirt could be helpful.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Who do you think will be on the WR two-deep in fall? Obviously Collie and Reed will be the big two, but who will be the next two? Chambers? Ashworth? Hafoka? White? Kozlowski?

Also, I assume that Mahuika will get most of the available snaps at the slot that aren't taken by the TEs (who I assume will take most). Who will be behind him? Probably doesn't matter too much, since Mahuika only got one reception last year, and will probably be in single digits again, even with the swtch of So'oto.
I think you see BYU play 2 wideouts on most formations and occasionally 3. With Keneauka Friel and Pitta and George, not to mention adding a hopefull fully healthy Fui along with JJ to the running back corps it is likely that 3 of the 5 elgible skill players will either be tight ends or backs every play.

Saying that I see BYU playing 4 wideouts any amount next year. I figure they will be Collie, Reed, Ashworth and Chambers. Ashworth didn't do much in 2005, but he is experienced and physical. I would see BYU leaning heavily upon Reed and Collie for the first few games and then seeing more and more of Ashworth and Chambers, probably at the expense of less and less of Michael Reed.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Was it Spencer who's supposed to be better than Saia, or was it the other way around?
Saia sucks and is ALWAYS injured. Even when he wasn't injured he sucked and couldn't even crack the 3 deep chart.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
No clue how accurate this is. Based on what's being said about him from spring practice, it sounds right. Still, with the bevy of talent at WR, a red-shirt could be helpful.
I have a clue how accurate this is.

100%.

Unless he gets injured.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think you see BYU play 2 wideouts on most formations and occasionally 3. With Keneauka Friel and Pitta and George, not to mention adding a hopefull fully healthy Fui along with JJ to the running back corps it is likely that 3 of the 5 elgible skill players will either be tight ends or backs every play.

Saying that I see BYU playing 4 wideouts any amount next year. I figure they will be Collie, Reed, Ashworth and Chambers. Ashworth didn't do much in 2005, but he is experienced and physical. I would see BYU leaning heavily upon Reed and Collie for the first few games and then seeing more and more of Ashworth and Chambers, probably at the expense of less and less of Michael Reed.
Actually this is a year where I think you might see BYU employing more 4 wideout sets than you have in the past simply because now we can with more depth and talent there.

Also Pitta has lost almost 20 pounds in the off-season and is now between 245-250. Last year,,,according to his Dad he was playing at around 265.

But I agree about BYU leaning heavily on Collie and Reed for the first few games while the other youngsters get their feet wet, but BYU is working on some "new wrinkles" this year and don't be surprised to see some 4 WR sets in the upcoming as the new guys get more experience.

By 4 WR sets too....I include Pitta in that as last year he was mostly lining up as a WR, and not at his traditional TE spot. And that was due to necessity from a lack of depth at WR and also to exploit matchups against smaller linebackers in the slot.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Actually this is a year where I think you might see BYU employing more 4 wideout sets than you have in the past simply because now we can with more depth and talent there.

Also Pitta has lost almost 20 pounds in the off-season and is now between 245-250. Last year,,,according to his Dad he was playing at around 265.

But I agree about BYU leaning heavily on Collie and Reed for the first few games while the other youngsters get their feet wet, but BYU is working on some "new wrinkles" this year and don't be surprised to see some 4 WR sets in the upcoming as the new guys get more experience.

By 4 WR sets too....I include Pitta in that as last year he was mostly lining up as a WR, and not at his traditional TE spot. And that was due to necessity from a lack of depth at WR and also to exploit matchups against smaller linebackers in the slot.
I could see 4 guys lined up as wide outs/wide receivers. I just think that more often than not only two of those guys will be listed on the roster as wide receivers.

I don't know about new wrinkles, I was pretty happy with the old wrinkles. Interesting info on Pitta, I think he is going to explode next year....if Unga and Collie stay healthy, Pitta will crush teams in the middle of the field.

BYU's offense next year might be its best ever.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #18
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a clue how accurate this is.

100%.

Unless he gets injured.
I'll take your word for it. With a grain of salt, but a small one, based on what I've read.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'll take your word for it. With a grain of salt, but a small one, based on what I've read.
That's your prerogative even though I'm 100% right.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #20
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
Spencer is the better of the two Hafoka brothers. He is bigger, stronger, and faster. I believe he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school but he has been gone for 3 years since he went on his mission in October of what would have been his freshman year. I think he will be an impact down the road but is still pretty raw having been out of action for so long. A red shirt will do him good.
Correct. Spencer is much leaner. Saia was always shorter, squatier. I'm interested in seeing Spencer on the field, but it has been a LONG time since he signed. I hope he is able to come back and get going.

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I think there is a lot of talent in the skill positions at the Y. I really wish BYU would exploit more no-huddle sets as a good way to create mismatches. Lining Pitta up as a WR on a DB would be huge. Collie and Reed are physical enough that they can play inside and block with the running game. And I think Unga is good enough as a receiver that you could split him out. I'd love to see a "big" line up with Pitta, George, Tonga, Collie and Unga on the field line up in a Tight-I formation in a short yardage rushing play, bringing 'heavy' personnel in defensively, only to go no-huddle the next play and spread the defense out. Either force them to burn a timeout, or have a mismatch somewhere with Pitta, Collie or George lined up one on one on an overmatched corner.

I'm also interested to see what DiLuigi's true abilities are. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Mahuika... a guy with physical talent, but can't put it together on the field, either because of injuries or just not being a good football player.

Offensively there is a LOT of potential for this team. It could be a very very very fun year.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote