cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #21
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Also, I assume that Mahuika will get most of the available snaps at the slot that aren't taken by the TEs (who I assume will take most). Who will be behind him? Probably doesn't matter too much, since Mahuika only got one reception last year, and will probably be in single digits again, even with the swtch of So'oto.
Please don't let Mahuika see any snaps and that includes punt returns. I have never seen a punt returner signal fair catch as well as he does or as much as he does. He also does a good job of telling his teammates to get away.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #22
Hot Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Saying that I see BYU playing 4 wideouts any amount next year. I figure they will be Collie, Reed, Ashworth and Chambers. Ashworth didn't do much in 2005, but he is experienced and physical. I would see BYU leaning heavily upon Reed and Collie for the first few games and then seeing more and more of Ashworth and Chambers, probably at the expense of less and less of Michael Reed.
This is almost exactly how I see it. The only thing I disagree on is that it doesn't take a few games and I am thinking more along the lines of game 3 we start seeing more and more Ashworth and Chambers.

I have had a chance to watch a few workouts this off season and Ashworth looks real good for just getting back from a mission a couple of months ago.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That's your prerogative even though I'm 100% right.
I think it's funny that, were I to put a percentage on it, I'd have said something along the lines of "he's got a 95% chance of playing this year on the two-deep."

And here we are, arguing over 5%.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Please don't let Mahuika see any snaps and that includes punt returns. I have never seen a punt returner signal fair catch as well as he does or as much as he does. He also does a good job of telling his teammates to get away.
Interesting sentiment, considering he had one catch for 12 yards last year, more than doubled the punt return average of any other player (6.8 yards, including one of 25 yards), was the second-leading returner of kickoffs (22.8 yards, including a team-high long of 61 yards).

Did he ever fumble a punt or kickoff? I can't remember one, but stats don't really show fumbles for returns.

He certainly wasn't James Dye out there (or even Nate Meikle), but he wasn't the worst punt returner we've ever had.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
Hot Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Interesting sentiment, considering he had one catch for 12 yards last year, more than doubled the punt return average of any other player (6.8 yards, including one of 25 yards), was the second-leading returner of kickoffs (22.8 yards, including a team-high long of 61 yards).

Did he ever fumble a punt or kickoff? I can't remember one, but stats don't really show fumbles for returns.

He certainly wasn't James Dye out there (or even Nate Meikle), but he wasn't the worst punt returner we've ever had.
I guess if you like having a returner that signals fair catch 1 out of every 4 punts then keep him back there.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I think it's funny that, were I to put a percentage on it, I'd have said something along the lines of "he's got a 95% chance of playing this year on the two-deep."

And here we are, arguing over 5%.
Yep, next time don't be such an ass and then maybe you'll learn. Given your posts here in the football section recently, you clearly have a long ways to go in terms of what you think you know compared to what you really you know.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-21-2008 at 11:23 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #27
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yep, next time don't be such an ass and then maybe you'll learn. Given your posts here in the football section recently, you clearly have a long ways to go in terms of what you think you know compared to what you really you know.
Can I offer you a chill pill?

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
Can I offer you a chill pill?
Tell that to the people on all the boards you've been banned from. lol.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

is that Nate Hutchinson done health wise or was he never very good? At 6-3 he's got good size

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
Spaz

Quote:
It's also interesting that I've been nothing but polite in this thread, and yet you're the one to jump on me for not immediately succumbing to your supposedly 'superior' knowledge.

I'd have to say, given any sort of 'jackass' scale I can think of, you're grading out quite a bit higher than I am.

It's amazing what an ass you can be towards someone who disagrees with you simply on the level of assuredness of a returning missionary's likelihood of red-shirting.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"