cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #41
MLOdawgs

MLOdawgs is on a distinguished road
Default touchest schedule in nation two years running

Yup, we have always scheduled tough and it is exciting to play big time programs every year. We are all very excited about opening the season next year at home against LSU (we visit Tiger stadium in 2012). It would be cool to schedule a series with BYU. The Ohio State game last year at Husky stadium was awesome. Played tough the first half but like clockwork, a Ty team folded in the 2nd half. Was cool to see Husky Stadium full and sold out again though.
Check out the awesome crowd we had for this game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9sdQ1D5XVI

The problem is that our coach can't compete with 7 of the other teams in the PAC-10, let alone our OOC opponents. We need a coach who can build a good program and be competitive no matter who the opponent is. Ty is approx 6-20 or so in the PAC-10 in his three years here. I think we are 11 and 25 total.

We are also very proud of the fact we are one of only five teams in the country (three of which are PAC-10 schools) that have never played a Div II opponent.
MLOdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #42
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
Yup, we have always scheduled tough and it is exciting to play big time programs every year. We are all very excited about opening the season next year at home against LSU (we visit Tiger stadium in 2012). It would be cool to schedule a series with BYU. The Ohio State game last year at Husky stadium was awesome. Played tough the first half but like clockwork, a Ty team folded in the 2nd half. Was cool to see Husky Stadium full and sold out again though.
Check out the awesome crowd we had for this game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9sdQ1D5XVI

The problem is that our coach can't compete with 7 of the other teams in the PAC-10, let alone our OOC opponents. We need a coach who can build a good program and be competitive no matter who the opponent is. Ty is approx 6-20 or so in the PAC-10 in his three years here. I think we are 11 and 25 total.

We are also very proud of the fact we are one of only five teams in the country (three of which are PAC-10 schools) that have never played a Div II opponent.
You mean 1AA? How do you think our matchup will play out? I'm nervous as hell, and I just want some good level headed non emotional analysis from both sides. I'm so nervous.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #43
MLOdawgs

MLOdawgs is on a distinguished road
Default hmm...

Yeah I hear that. It's hard to say, there is so many question marks on our team and I don't know very much about BYU.

All I can do is tell you which areas we are very optimistic about:

DEFENSE - New DC Ed Donnatell is a major upgrade over Kent Baer and already has our defense hitting hard and popping pads. Our safeties Nate Williams and Victor Aeiyewa can knock your head off but they are very inexperienced. Our corners are either mediocre upper classmen or talented but inexperienced frosh. The D-line has only one starter returning, Teo-Nesheim, and the rest will be talented but inexperienced frosh/sophomores. The strength of our defense is our Linebacker corps, even with Savannah injured. Mason Foster started last year as a true freshmen and is a total stud. Butler is big and fast and Tuiasosopo is a fire hydrant in the middle.

OFFENSE - The strength of the team is the O-line, which is pretty good even with our best lineman C Juan Garcia injured. Our two deeps at the Oline are all at or over 300 pounds. We have a talented but inexperienced RB in Sophomore Brandon Johnson and a young stable of frosh behind him. Chris Polk and Curtis Shaw will be used like Reggie Bush and will play both RB and WR depending on the formation. We have a lot of speed at WR but inexperience everywhere as we graduated five senior WR's this year. We have a couple of really good FB's. Our TE situation last year was pathetic and should be improved this year with high profile recruit Chris Izbicki seeing the playing field. It's possible Kavario Middleton (even higher profile TE recruit) could play but I have a feeling he will redshirt unless he is just too good to leave on the bench.

Jake Locker of course. EVERYTHING relies on Jake Locker. He will be why we win or lose every game in my honest opinion UNLESS the inexperienced freshmen can step up to the plate and take the pressure off of Jake.
MLOdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #44
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
Chris Polk on paper and in high school is an absolute stud, we stole him from USC where he was committed for 6 months. His nickname in high school is "little Bush" because his play style reminds people of Reggie. Lappanno said he plans to use C. Polk (and Shaw) just like USC used Reggie Bush.
I actually managed to get one of BYU's coaches down to Chris' high school (my brother was his Spanish teacher) to visit with him and his coach right after he de-committed from USC. Unfortunately, he wasn't really interested in BYU. I think he's going to be a great player for you guys.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote