cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=TripletDaddy;219844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

9. Being an original stadium donor, or relative of an original stadium donor
10. Being a Cougar Club member
11. Being a season ticket holder
12. Being in possession of one of those hard-to-get brown BYU caps that ushers wear at football games
13. Being excited when a player gets kicked off for grades so you can knock the Utes for not being so tough on their players.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The others are being mentally lazy and you are fallen into their trap.

There are grades of standing here:

1. Being in good standing with God.
2. Being a member of the church in good standing.
3. Being a member of the church.
4. Being a student at BYU.
5. Being a student at BYU and on the football team.
6. Being a student at BYU and on the football team with a scholarship.

I don't want the criminals and those unable to maintain a C average in the PE major being in category number 6 above. If that makes me a Mullah, then I'll proudly wear that hat.
Actually, you're the one who's being "mentally lazy". On the other hand, lack of capacity may not necessarily denote laziness...

You want the members of the football team to be exemplary persons of nothing but the highest moral standards. And I think you're silly to expect that even a very, very good kid can't run into some problems caused by mistakes he's made.

Further, I think that tossing the kid who's made those mistakes onto his ass because of those mistakes is the height of pharisitical ideals. Therefore, I call you out as an unforgiving asshole who's opinion I openly despise.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #33
BYU71

Quote:
As the YM president I could tell you which of the YM in the ward would serve missions with a greater than 90% accuracy. Any good YM president could do the same.

You spend 90% of the time with the marginal case, but rarely can you make up for what has happened in the home for the last decade.

And the one in a 100 exception is why we serve in the the church and keep trying.

But BYU Football isn't about salvation or even happiness. It is about who represents BYU to the youth and the world. Tonga and Hooks could be quite happy playing (and getting into trouble) at some other school.

You can know which kids are going to be ok and which are not with very few mistakes. The coaches are recruiting these kids for over 3 years typically. They know them pretty well. You are playing the canard here, not me.
I just thank the Lord you weren't any of my kids Young Mens President. I hated when I had to tell the kids the person called to the job was full of shit.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #34
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I just thank the Lord you weren't any of my kids Young Mens President. I hated when I had to tell the kids the person called to the job was full of shit.
Personally, I'd take an unusual amount of delight in doing so in Adam's case.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #35
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As the YM president I could tell you which of the YM in the ward would serve missions with a greater than 90% accuracy. Any good YM president could do the same.

You spend 90% of the time with the marginal case, but rarely can you make up for what has happened in the home for the last decade.

And the one in a 100 exception is why we serve in the the church and keep trying.

But BYU Football isn't about salvation or even happiness. It is about who represents BYU to the youth and the world. Tonga and Hooks could be quite happy playing (and getting into trouble) at some other school.

You can know which kids are going to be ok and which are not with very few mistakes. The coaches are recruiting these kids for over 3 years typically. They know them pretty well. You are playing the canard here, not me.
So if Manase was in your ward, do you think he would have served a mission?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Junkie, you're one of my favorite guys here but let me just say that what Adam is saying here isn't radical or heartless or controversial. Lots of noble insitutions of higher learning decide they don't want marginal kids. So what. BYU isn't the YMCA, is it? What kind of school do you want BYU to be?

The only reason this is an issue is that BYU isn't Stanford or Notre Dame. If it were it could say, we aren't accepting any marginal kids, and still win. You should strive to become Stanford or Notre Dame.

Concluding you wouldn't Adam to be your kid's MIA teacher because he wants to resolve doubts in favor keeping BYU pristine is a silly leap. Besides, if some kid turns out to be a bad seed it's potentially BM's job.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Manase's positives > Manase's negatives
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
BYU71

Quote:
Again you are being incredibly menatlly lazy.

Being the YM pres is not like being that distributor of scholarships for the BYU football team. On is concerned with the salvation of the kids, the other is concerned with the image of the church and the performance on the field and the salvation of the kids.

See the two additional concerns the football coach has that the YM pres doesn't?

Those additional concerns mean that the football coach makes different decisions regarding handing out scholarships and allowing players to play on the BYU team than a YM president makes about who goes to summer camp etc.

Trying to equate the two is silly.

I was just making the point (unrefuted thus far) that you can, in fact, know with a high degree of certainty which kid is going to burn you down the road.
Drop the mentally lazy crap. That may hurt the feelings of people who think of themselves as intellectuals, but I don't. I prefer to be called a dumb ass. It is a lot more meaningful.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #39
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Drop the mentally lazy crap. That may hurt the feelings of people who think of themselves as intellectuals, but I don't. I prefer to be called a dumb ass. It is a lot more meaningful.
It's a dumb ass position to say because you don't want BYU to accept marginal kids I don't want you teaching my kid in MIA. That's a good word for such reasoning.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #40
BYU71

Quote:
I can't know that--it is far too personal.

All I can say is that by his actions since his mission he has forfeited his chance to represent BYU on the football field and hurt the team by denying them a scholarship-level player for this next year. And that is a shame for him and for BYU football.
Wow, if you had just said this in the first place, I could have agreed with you.

Why do you go through all your mental masturbations. I guess you don't think you can go blind by doing so?