cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
See post #21 for that answer.

Hint: no, which is why I asked.
I saw that post.

Since no one had answered and you made assumptions it was due to football, that's why I answered.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I saw that post.

Since no one had answered and you made assumptions it was due to football, that's why I answered.
I was only going off the hypo that EPU suggested...that he quit to play football.

I still have no clue why he quit.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was only going off the hypo that EPU suggested...that he quit to play football.

I still have no clue why he quit.
It will remain that way, unless someone else chooses to share with you via boardmail or another forum why.

It's not my place to divulge the real reason, but just know it wasn't football.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Hall apparently felt that wussing out was the right thing for him to do.
I've gotta say - Assuming you know the ins & outs of Hall's situation is pretty silly. To assume you know the reasons he did what he did, and that he made the wrong decision is pretty arrogant. To then proclaim him a pussy, as you have here, is simply idiotic. I expected better from you.

On the other hand, to dislike someone because they outright lied about their intentions doesn't fall into nearly the same category. No, in fact, what Hall did is not even CLOSE to the same as what Ben Olsen did.

It's entirely possible that Hall made the best decision possible for him to make. It's even possible that he prayed & received confirmation that discontinuing the mission was his best course of action. I don't know if that's the case, and neither do you. And, to paraphrase Goat, to have the balls to cut his mission short despite the inevitable opinion of his character that those like you would form from that decision is, to me, impressive.

All that said, I truly did hope Ben would succeed at UCLA. It's never a bad thing for a good kid (as he SEEMS to me to be, despite his mistake) to succeed in his goals.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

isn't it ironic that the kid who served the mission has an awful career, despite high hopes and great talent, while the kid who leaves his mission does great?

It shows you that how you live your life morally is not in correlation to athletic success.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
isn't it ironic that the kid who served the mission has an awful career, despite high hopes and great talent, while the kid who leaves his mission does great?

It shows you that how you live your life morally is not in correlation to athletic success.
You mean moral like lying to fans, coaches and media during a post-mission publicity tour saying you haven't made your mind up about where you're going to school yet?

P.S. Olson left two months early from his mission.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've gotta say - Assuming you know the ins & outs of Hall's situation is pretty silly. To assume you know the reasons he did what he did, and that he made the wrong decision is pretty arrogant. To then proclaim him a pussy, as you have here, is simply idiotic. I expected better from you.

On the other hand, to dislike someone because they outright lied about their intentions doesn't fall into nearly the same category. No, in fact, what Hall did is not even CLOSE to the same as what Ben Olsen did.

It's entirely possible that Hall made the best decision possible for him to make. It's even possible that he prayed & received confirmation that discontinuing the mission was his best course of action. I don't know if that's the case, and neither do you. And, to paraphrase Goat, to have the balls to cut his mission short despite the inevitable opinion of his character that those like you would form from that decision is, to me, impressive.

All that said, I truly did hope Ben would succeed at UCLA. It's never a bad thing for a good kid (as he SEEMS to me to be, despite his mistake) to succeed in his goals.
So, you don't like that I think someone who quits is a pussy?

The only difference I see between Hall and Olsen and how BYU fans justify their position on the two is which school each plays for. They hate the guy at UCLA and love the guy at BYU.

It doesn't matter what it is that anyone quits. If they commit to it and quit, there are few reason to quit. It's not just limited to BYU football players. Marc Jackson was a pussy to quit his mission and a pussy to quit basketball under Majerus.

A kid in my mission made the decision to stay after his parents were both killed in an auto accident. He was the oldest of 4 kids and had a legitimate reason to end early (after 8 months or so), but convinced his grandparents to take care of his siblings until he had finished serving the mission he committed to serve.

Please save the condescension for those who deserve it. I agreed with Goatnapper that he had the guts to do what he did because some would point fingers and say he was less than a righteous person to do so. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a pussy to quit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 08-12-2008 at 08:40 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
You are easily impressed.

I can see it now...

"Hey Max, what are you doing home so early? Didnt you just leave earlier this year?"

"Yes, I prayed about it and the Lord told me to come home now."

"WOW! I am impressed! good for you!"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #39
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hypothetical:

What if Hall was not worthy to go in the first place? Is he a pussy for coming home when he knew he shouldnt be out there? Or is he a pussy for even going when he wasnt worthy?

Also Mike Rose came home because of a disease he picked up on his mission that left him in the hospital for a few months, caused him to lose 30 pounds and he needed constant medical treatment in the US, is he a pussy for coming home?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Hypothetical:

What if Hall was not worthy to go in the first place? Is he a pussy for coming home when he knew he shouldnt be out there? Or is he a pussy for even going when he wasnt worthy?

Also Mike Rose came home because of a disease he picked up on his mission that left him in the hospital for a few months, caused him to lose 30 pounds and he needed constant medical treatment in the US, is he a pussy for coming home?
Are you saying Hall never should have gone because he wasn't worthy? No, he wouldn't be a pussy for going if he hadn't been worthy. In my day, lots of missionaries would not have been worthy if held to today's standard of what a worthy missionary is considered.

I can only view it from the point of view that I have - of the lower bar, so to speak - and think that perhaps he went thinking it could help him overcome whatever was holding him back, so yes, I would call him a pussy for quitting.

Rose' illness is one of a few legitimate reasons for coming home if it rendered him physically unable to serve a mission which sounds like the case.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote