cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok I'll be the first to say it

OL is overrated
Linebackers are horrible

L at Washington.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

That wasn't how a BCS bowl-winning team plays football. Definitely improvements to be made.

Then again, 41-17 is about right.

Not panicking just yet, but we'll need to be better to do what we're setting out to do.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
That wasn't how a BCS bowl-winning team plays football. Definitely improvements to be made.

Not panicking just yet, but we'll need to be better to do what we're setting out to do.
Just what I would have said.

Don't look now, Mike, but your old buddies at A&M are losing late in the fourth to Arkansas State.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just what I would have said.

Don't look now, Mike, but your old buddies at A&M are losing late in the fourth to Arkansas State.
Final. A&M loses.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That's about how LSU played against a similar team. I think they've won a BCS bowl or two...

Take away two plays and it's 41-3. Not bad for a first outing against a pretty good team.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

It wasn't bad. Coug fans are a fickle bunch. BYU needs to work on ball security. Clearly. Other than that, BYU gave up 7 points on bad protection in the end zone (aren't we all tired of sacks resulting in fumbles by now? Let's protect that blind side, fellas). BYU gave up one big run resulting in 3 points, and they gave up 1 trick play. 17 points, 3 plays. Sure, BYU can't routinely give up 3 plays, but that is all it was tonight. The D was remarkable. UNI's running back is quite good, and BYU shut him down. BYU crushed their QB. Locker can't be happy about that.

BYU's running game was subpar, outside of Unga (which is kind of like saying, other than my million dollars, I really don't have a lot of money). Unga is a beast. Those behind him struggled a lot. I wonder what happened with Fui. He seems to be in the doghouse.

Chambers will take some to the house this year. He is going to be very good. Special teams is 100% better than last year.

Pitta and George will be almost unstoppable. Especially with Reed, Collie, Unga and others on the field who MUST be respected. Our offense was exceptional, except for when we shot ourselves in the foot.

Few penalties tonight, odd for a BYU first game, especially given that the O-line had almost 0 penalties.

Overall, this was a great game for BYU. They now know they have a few spots to shore up (back up RBs need to bring it, Scott Johnson needs some work on D, turnovers, etc.), but they also know they have a remarkable team.

I am happy. Go Cougs.

By the way, UNI's coaching staff should be shot. How dare they continue to put Grace back into the game knowing he was in tremendous pain? He clearly should not have continued on. I hope he isn't seriously hurt. The BYU game doesn't matter at all to UNI, other than bragging rights. It gets them nowhere in terms of winning a title in FCS. Very reckless.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It wasn't bad. Coug fans are a fickle bunch. BYU needs to work on ball security. Clearly. Other than that, BYU gave up 7 points on bad protection in the end zone (aren't we all tired of sacks resulting in fumbles by now? Let's protect that blind side, fellas). BYU gave up one big run resulting in 3 points, and they gave up 1 trick play. 17 points, 3 plays. Sure, BYU can't routinely give up 3 plays, but that is all it was tonight. The D was remarkable. UNI's running back is quite good, and BYU shut him down. BYU crushed their QB. Locker can't be happy about that.

BYU's running game was subpar, outside of Unga (which is kind of like saying, other than my million dollars, I really don't have a lot of money). Unga is a beast. Those behind him struggled a lot. I wonder what happened with Fui. He seems to be in the doghouse.

Chambers will take some to the house this year. He is going to be very good. Special teams is 100% better than last year.

Pitta and George will be almost unstoppable. Especially with Reed, Collie, Unga and others on the field who MUST be respected. Our offense was exceptional, except for when we shot ourselves in the foot.

Few penalties tonight, odd for a BYU first game, especially given that the O-line had almost 0 penalties.

Overall, this was a great game for BYU. They now know they have a few spots to shore up (back up RBs need to bring it, Scott Johnson needs some work on D, turnovers, etc.), but they also know they have a remarkable team.

I am happy. Go Cougs.

By the way, UNI's coaching staff should be shot. How dare they continue to put Grace back into the game knowing he was in tremendous pain? He clearly should not have continued on. I hope he isn't seriously hurt. The BYU game doesn't matter at all to UNI, other than bragging rights. It gets them nowhere in terms of winning a title in FCS. Very reckless.
Fui didn't qualify academically until yesterday. He'll be back next week.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

If Bronco holds true to form and history repeats itself, of course we will lose....road game at a BCS stadium in an early season non-conference game.

Also, I am traveling to the game, so no need to start messing with tradition and pulling out a win, now.

On a NIU note, when do they rebroadcast the game? Is it on KBYU? Or BYU-TV? we get KBYU down here, not BYU-TV.

For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If Bronco holds true to form and history repeats itself, of course we will lose....road game at a BCS stadium in an early season non-conference game.

Also, I am traveling to the game, so no need to start messing with tradition and pulling out a win, now.

On a NIU note, when do they rebroadcast the game? Is it on KBYU? Or BYU-TV? we get KBYU down here, not BYU-TV.

For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)
The TV cameras at the game had the "HD" logo on them. I thought that was odd seeing as how the MTN doesn't broadcast in HD.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
The TV cameras at the game had the "HD" logo on them. I thought that was odd seeing as how the MTN doesn't broadcast in HD.
Perhaps they said "DI" instead?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote