cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 02:43 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)
It is a lousy production - as if it is using the same equipment that a high school closed circuit tv broadcast uses. O course, that may be because it isn't broadcast in HD and the non HD channels look bad on an HDTV.

You are correct when you say that having a lousy broadcast is better than no broadcast.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
The TV cameras at the game had the "HD" logo on them. I thought that was odd seeing as how the MTN doesn't broadcast in HD.
I hate the fact that they almost never show the down and how many yards to go for a first. The cameras also tend to be slow in getting to the play (focusing on the sideline or just a close up of one player). The production wasn't great at all. But it was better than last year.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
OL is overrated
Linebackers are horrible

L at Washington.
True. And you didn't even mention the secondary. I don't think Tafuna or Fowler made a play all day. At least Clawson and Nixon looked pretty good at LB.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #14
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For those who made the switch to DirecTV for the mtn, how was the broadcast? I heard the quality is pretty crappy (which is still better than no broadcast, I guess)
Sub-par. The mtn is in all honesty one of the lowest budget channels on TV. It's bad. There was a few times when they missed the play, or zoomed way too far in. They wouldn't show many replays, or wouldn't show plays you would want to see again (thank you Tivo) and their commentators are absolutely horrible.

Honestly, you could probably get better commentators if you used students wanting to go into journalism from each school. They are that bad.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
L at Washington.
you sure 'bout that? The Huskies don't look good. This could be a long season for Ty.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 AM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
True. And you didn't even mention the secondary. I don't think Tafuna or Fowler made a play all day. At least Clawson and Nixon looked pretty good at LB.
Bauman played a decent game. Clawson will be known from here on out as either "Lights Out" or "K.O." I haven't decided which. And Nixon was pretty good.

Tafuna is absolutely awful against the pass. He is terrible. There HAS to be somebody better behind him, because he just is not good. Fowler got beat a few times today as well.

Our defense was not that bad today. Yes, they gave up two plays that hurt them (the 69 yard QB run and the WR trick pass for a TD) but other than that, they executed well. They are a bend but don't break defense, and besides those plays, they did what they were supposed to. It isn't dominating, and it isn't exciting, but if they can make a few improvements, BYU will win the majority of their games.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just what I would have said.

Don't look now, Mike, but your old buddies at A&M are losing late in the fourth to Arkansas State.
Didn't the Longhorns struggle with Arky State last year? Maybe Arky State got inspired by Appy State.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 AM   #18
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Bauman played a decent game. Clawson will be known from here on out as either "Lights Out" or "K.O." I haven't decided which. And Nixon was pretty good.

Tafuna is absolutely awful against the pass. He is terrible. There HAS to be somebody better behind him, because he just is not good. Fowler got beat a few times today as well.

Our defense was not that bad today. Yes, they gave up two plays that hurt them (the 69 yard QB run and the WR trick pass for a TD) but other than that, they executed well. They are a bend but don't break defense, and besides those plays, they did what they were supposed to. It isn't dominating, and it isn't exciting, but if they can make a few improvements, BYU will win the majority of their games.
In fairness, as a group, I thought the D-line played like they were playing against a 1-AA team. Got pressure on the QB and stopped the run game.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #19
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the Washington/Oregon game on tv for folks in Utah? I'd like to see them play a bit before I jump ship.

I was at the game and very disappointed with the turnovers. I'm cautiously satisfied with the win, but we have to play much better next week if we hope to win.

Post game radio reported that BYU did not practice in pads all week. Bronco must be crazy like a fox, trying to take it easy on his boys before Washington, but you could tell the receivers and backs were not ready to take hits and hold onto the ball.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #20
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Pitta is the best tight end in the country.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote