cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually, A&M loss makes me happy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually, A&M loss makes me happy.
I thought so. That's why I mentioned it.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #23
triz

triz is on a distinguished road

My biggest disappointment was the offensive line. They couldn't open any holes against a FCS team. What are they going to do against the Pac-10? Any yards Unga got were pretty much on his own.

Obviously the fumbles were ridiculous, but that seems like an easier fix than the o-line issues.
triz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

The turnovers were very dissapointing. I wonder if Bronco's limited practice contact policy is to blame.

Without the turnovers this is a much bigger blowout than it was (two fumbles turned into TDs). Offense moved the ball at will, sometimes quite spectacularly. Pitta is a beast, as in UNgA. Everytime Max takes a shot, I cringe. He looked a bit loopy there for a minute.

Mike may be right about the LBs, but overall, the defense shut down UNI, NIU, or whatever they are called.

I watched a bit of Locker last night against Oregon. Very mobile and quite the rusher. His receivers dropped half the passes he threw to them. The guy scares me.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #25
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The turnovers were very dissapointing. I wonder if Bronco's limited practice contact policy is to blame.

Without the turnovers this is a much bigger blowout than it was (two fumbles turned into TDs). Offense moved the ball at will, sometimes quite spectacularly. Pitta is a beast, as in UNgA. Everytime Max takes a shot, I cringe. He looked a bit loopy there for a minute.

Mike may be right about the LBs, but overall, the defense shut down UNI, NIU, or whatever they are called.

I watched a bit of Locker last night against Oregon. Very mobile and quite the rusher. His receivers dropped half the passes he threw to them. The guy scares me.
Bronco mentioned the fumbles on the radio show last night, and looked at each one. He suggested that it probably wasn't a contact issue, so much as an issue of experience and touches. One fumble was JJ DiLuigi's first handoff in college. Another was to Wayne Latu, who has had fewer repetitions in spite of his seniority. A third was a quarterback-center exchange, with which contact has little to do. The fumble in the end zone on the quarterback hit . . . aggravating, but you generally don't let your team hit the quarterback anyway. A glaring protection issue, but I don't think contact in practice does much to help that either.

No contact in practice doesn't seem to have been a problem. Much more disconcerting, though, is the alacrity with which we have gone from having three solid running backs to no available running backs (when Harvey's ankle was being worked on in the third). How on earth did THAT happen?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #26
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Did we have any running plays that didn't go to the outside? Did we even try to run up the gut?
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wayne Latu looked awful. He looked like Tahi running east-west.

We are hurting big time at the RB position.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The Tonga loss is a big one. Dude was a GREAT lead blocker and blitz picker upper.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #29
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Year after year after year after year BYU fans are victims of their own expectations. I don't ever remember hearing a BYU fan say "what a great season, much better than expected."

If it wasn't bad enough to have a National Championship looming in the collective memory, BYU's arch rival had to go and bust the BCS. If BYU fans could dial their expectations back to being top three in the conference and winning a bowl game they would enjoy the season much more. Then if anything in addition to that happens, it is a pleasant surprise. Instead, everything is a least a little disappointing.

What ever we Utes (and I mean those of us who didn't become fans for the first time during the UM era) can learn from you, this is something you could learn from us. I say this every year.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #30
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Much more disconcerting, though, is the alacrity with which we have gone from having three solid running backs to no available running backs (when Harvey's ankle was being worked on in the third). How on earth did THAT happen?
Fui will be back next week. But clearly the loss of Manase is HUGE.