cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Linebackers are horrible

L at Washington.
LBs weren't bad. Nixon, Clawson, and Bauman were great.

W at Washington by double digits. They're terrible, perhaps worse than UNI. Michigan may be worse than UNI as well...
Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #32
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
W at Washington by double digits. They're terrible, perhaps worse than UNI.
absolutely. Hard to believe they won a title not so long ago.

Never underestimate the Pac-10 refs, though.
(that's a joke)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #33
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
W at Washington by double digits. They're terrible, perhaps worse than UNI. Michigan may be worse than UNI as well...
This may be the dumbest statement anyone has ever made on this board. There is no way in hell that Michigan is worse than UNI. Michigan isn't very good but they still have Michigan caliber talent.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This may be the dumbest statement anyone has ever made on this board. There is no way in hell that Michigan is worse than UNI. Michigan isn't very good but they still have Michigan caliber talent.
A "not so good" Michigan is still a pretty good team.

I don't get the inferiority complex of some Y fans. Let the U have its day in the sun. No skin off our nose/back/misc cancerous region.

I remember when Walsh passed and f-bombed his way to victory against the Irish at Notre Dame on NBC......people were literally out in the street on Condo Row yelling and cheering. And Notre Dame sucked that year.

It is fun to beat the big boys, esp in their place.

And a win AT the Big House in front of 100K fans? That ranks pretty near the top, in I think.....maybe at The Swamp, Tennessee, Ohio State. Who cares what Michigan is ranked? Obviously, 95K+ of their fans did not think their team sucked, otherwise they would not have attended.

Hail to the Victors, Valiant
Hail to the conquering Heroes
Hail, Hail, to Utah...the leaders and best!

Hail to the Victors, Valiant
Hail to the conquering heroes,
Hail, Hail to old Utah, the Champions of the West (until the inevitable let down MWC loss to a lame team)!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #35
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
No way Michigan is worse than App State either. You buffoon.

Honestly, do you know absolutely nothing about college football? A 10-2 UNI would stack up well against a 6-6 Michigan.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

They looked good enough to maintain my 9-3 prediction for the year. I do however now lean to the losses coming to UCLA, Utah and TCU, not UCLA, Utah and Washington.

One thing is even clearer to me, we can't afford to lose Hall or Unga when we are going to play any of those four teams mentioned.

It is early and I reserve to change my mind on an ongoing basis, but Saturday didn't change my mind either way.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #37
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Never underestimate the Pac-10 refs, though.
(that's a joke)
unfortunately it's one that has a lot of truth to it. I can guarantee there will be some really, really, bad calls. There always are. BYU will still win however.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #38
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought we looked like a team that had a 27-3 halftime lead on a 1-AA squad in the first game of the season. It was fairly predictable, Bronco subbed a lot in the 3rd quarter we had our 2s and 3s in for the majority of the quarter until they cut it to 10.

Bauman did a great job on the screens in that game but he missed his assignment on the long qb run.

Clawson played very well when rushing the QB but he wasnt great in pass coverage I think he would be better suited as a stand up D-end.

Jorgensen had 1 sack and would have had 2 more if he wasnt held (both plays penalties were called)

3 of the 4 turnovers were from guys getting their first major action in college, Diluigi, Latu and Reynolds whiffing on the D-end.

Overall we looked fine, Washington looked awful against ORegon so I expect a good game.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #39
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
No way Michigan is worse than App State either. You buffoon.

Honestly, do you know absolutely nothing about college football? A 10-2 UNI would stack up well against a 6-6 Michigan.
Michigan may not be a good team, but they are still Michigan and have Michigan talent. If App State played 10 games against Michigan they would win one of the ten, same goes for UNI.

There is no way that UNI or App State can consistently hang with the depth that Michigan has. It takes a complete idiot to really believe these teams, that would finish at best 8th in the MWC, are somehow better than Michigan.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Michigan may not be a good team, but they are still Michigan and have Michigan talent. If App State played 10 games against Michigan they would win one of the ten, same goes for UNI.

There is no way that UNI or App State can consistently hang with the depth that Michigan has. It takes a complete idiot to really believe these teams, that would finish at best 8th in the MWC, are somehow better than Michigan.
Early in the year depth is less of an issue but UM would probably still beat the best of 1 double eh even when they are not very good. UM probably beats UNI this year and probably beats them soundly.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote