cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thoughts:

1) The refs shouldn't have made that call then. There is room for discretion. I was there. The ball didn't go that high. You don't call outcome determinative celebration penalties where the kid flipped the ball over his shoulder. It's just not done. I don't care how long it took for the ball to land. This is a game played by kids, anyway (except for BYU, which has 70% RM's).

2) The PAT was blocked because the trajectory was lower. The kid was kicking from 40 yards beyond the goal posts. Be honest with yourselves.

3) Still, the blocked PAT was once more instance of what I felt was poor execution overall by Washington.

4) Wide open guys overthrown or dropping passes in four out of five downs on that last drive. Washington is an inept team. I'm now firmly in the fire Willingham camp. It's a bad team. I want Willinghm out.

5) When Washington really needed to make a play Locker just boot legged it. BYU seems big but slow afoot on defense. But for the bad celebration call I'd have liked to have seen Washington just go for two and let Locker run it, quarterback draw or something. I wonder if BYU could have prevented him from getting in the end zone.

6) Once again, Cali can see things no other way but his way. It's so patently obvious to him BYU would have won in OT, who cares about the unconscionable celebration call? (I can only imagine the reaction here and on CB had the call gone the other way.) Vintage Cali. (Cali, where does the LDS Church keep those $5 billion in green backs lying around?)

7) Still, I tend to agree Washington is just too inept to have won in OT. All the fans around me wanted Washington to go for two until the penalty was called.

8) I hope Washington has an extreme patsy on its schedule (I haven't checked), because otherwise it may not win a game. Last year I think it was 2-10. It is destined for 8-10 place in the Pac 10. No way it finishes higher than 8th. Willingham is done.

9) We arrived at half time. I had to shoo away a BYU fan reclinging in our seats.

10) A couple of BYU slogans I saw on shirts seemed cult-like. "Fully invested." "The Quest." What do they mean?

11) I decided BM is an asshole on this basis: He asked for two plays reviewed that were obvious from where I sat and on the big monitor the refs got right (the Unga fumble and the long Wasington pass to the right out of bounds on the last drive). I wish they penalized 15 yards when a team does that and the call isn't even close.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Thoughts:

1) The refs shouldn't have made that call then. There is room for discretion. I was there. The ball didn't go that high. You don't call outcome determinative celebration penalties where the kid flipped the ball over his shoulder. It's just not done. I don't care how long it took for the ball to land. This is a game played by kids, anyway (except for BYU, which has 70% RM's).

2) The PAT was blocked because the trajectory was lower. The kid was kicking from 40 yards beyond the goal posts. Be honest with yourselves.

3) Still, the blocked PAT was once more instance of what I felt was poor execution overall by Washington.

4) Wide open guys overthrown or dropping passes in four out of five downs on that last drive. Washington is an inept team. I'm now firmly in the fire Willingham camp. It's a bad team. I want Willinghm out.

5) When Washington really needed to make a play Locker just boot legged it. BYU seems big but slow afoot on defense. But for the bad celebration call I'd have liked to have seen Washington just go for two and let Locker run it, quarterback draw or something. I wonder if BYU could have prevented him from getting in the end zone.

6) Once again, Cali can see things no other way but his way. It's so patently obvious to him BYU would have won in OT, who cares about the unconscionable celebration call? (I can only imagine the reaction here and on CB had the call gone the other way.) Vintage Cali. (Cali, where does the LDS Church keep those $5 billion in green backs lying around?)

7) Still, I tend to agree Washington is just too inept to have won in OT. All the fans around me wanted Washington to go for two until the penalty was called.

8) I hope Washington has an extreme patsy on its schedule (I haven't checked), because otherwise it may not win a game. Last year I think it was 2-10. It is destined for 8-10 place in the Pac 10. No way it finishes higher than 8th. Willingham is done.

9) We arrived at half time. I had to shoo away a BYU fan reclinging in our seats.

10) A couple of BYU slogans I saw on shirts seemed cult-like. "Fully invested." "The Quest." What do they mean?

11) I decided BM is an asshole on this basis: He asked for two plays reviewed that were obvious from where I sat and on the big monitor the refs got right (the Unga fumble and the long Wasington pass to the right out of bounds on the last drive). I wish they penalized 15 yards when a team does that and the call isn't even close.
So I take it you had a good time?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #13
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
So I take it you had a good time?
I did. For one thing, I bet all who were there will agree that the day was beautiful enough to die for. We parked on the north end of the campus and walked through it. Very lovely. The lake, etc. were spectacular.

My boy was wonderful. I think he could have lasted a whole game. He was perhaps most interested in the ambulance that came onto the field to take the player with the concussion away. We were in the shade and there was a breeze coming off the lake, and I bought him a frozen lemonade. So he got a bit of a chill and the last six minutes I wound up with him on my lap and me cuddling him. But that was convenient as well as sweet because I had to pick him up so he could see for all the standing at the end.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Be honest. 35 yards. How often is a 35 yard FG blocked? One in Twenty? Maybe less?

Speaking of bad calls...a flag should have been thrown on the blocked PAT. Former Carbon Dino Jan Jorgenson was being held. Despite that, he still blocked the kick.

YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Not only that, but the extra point was to TIE the game. Given BYU's offensive success, does anyone think UW could have stopped BYU from the 25? Really? The game should have ended with Unga. Right result regardless. BYU outplayed them and deserved to win.
BYU had 10 drives and scored 4 times. Washington had 9 drives and scored 4 times.
Overtime would not have been a gimme for either team.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 AM   #16
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Be honest. 35 yards. How often is a 35 yard FG blocked? One in Twenty? Maybe less?

Speaking of bad calls...a flag should have been thrown on the blocked PAT. Former Carbon Dino Jan Jorgenson was being held. Despite that, he still blocked the kick.

What is this *holding* you speak of? Honest question.

Signed,
PAC 10 officials
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

This is the type of holding call you let go. He had a corner of his jersey. I don't see the BYU guy being detained at all.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #18
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/fl...e&pollId=59911

Just sayin.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What's telling is go to the real football states, Florida, California, Michigan, Texas, Louisiana, and see how they voted.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What's telling is go to the real football states, Florida, California, Michigan, Texas, Louisiana, and see how they voted.
That's just because fans hate refs and on a controversial call they'll always side with the player. That said, I wish the refs hadn't made the call. I hate that it takes away from a long-anticipated out of conference road win.

I also hate the whining that the call cost Washington the game. They faced adversity in a controversial call and failed to meet the task. BYU blocked the kick, one that is generally considered a gimme. That's why Washington lost.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote