cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I watched it. That season was the first one where I began to understand the power that an oddly shaped leather ball held over my parents.
The idea of OU fans watching that game, desperately privately hoping the Wolverines would win, while publicly exclaiming that they game didn't matter because BYU didn't deserve it even if they did win, wow, that brings a smile to my lips.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The idea of OU fans watching that game brings a smile to my lips.
how about the thought that your national title came on account of a penalty on a goddammed covered wagon? I bet the ref was a Mormon.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I watched it live. I was eleven years old at the time, an age where you idolize the players and you live and die by their successes and failures. Easily the greatest day of my life up to that point.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
If Farrah wouldn't mine, I think Pac and I would love to spoon with you.
I'm in.

It was a magical night, and although I was a bit older (32), I was there as well, sitting mezzanine level near the end zone where Kelly Smith filled my bosom with rapture, giving rise to the mammary imagery that has pervaded Goat's and my writings ever since.

And yet, I knew the world would not appreciate the magnitude of the achievement to the same extent did those of us with spiritual eyes. I began to understand the gross disparity between the world's view, and our view, of BYU's place in the universe following the Miracle Bowl. I genuinely expected a bold front-page headline in the SF Chronicle's Sporting Green, if not its front page, telling the world about the greatest comeback since Abraham sired Isaac. But no, instead there was a two-sentence filler on page 6 that simply reported the score of the obcure bowl. I think it was next to another filler informing readers that "The Tasmanian Devil consumes three times its weight in insects daily."

I'm no longer angry that lesser spirits fail to acknowledge the greatness of BYU football, I pity them.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
how about the thought that your national title came on account of a penalty on a goddammed covered wagon? I bet the ref was a Mormon.
Eat it Soonergirl.

http://cougarstats.com/vsopponents.html#oklahoma

http://justanotherdumb.com/byu/classics/CopperBowl.wmv
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I entered rapture much earlier than expected that evening, cold as it was, in San Diego.

I had newly married and informed my spouse that my family was attending the game. She didn't understand my passion, but she attended, it was free after all, her father in law was paying. Again I am much younger than our elder statesman and was a child's groom.

We sat in the mezzanine level seating waiting for hot chocolate. I'd like to say I remember the game much, but even though I try other games stick out more in my memory.

Giff Nielsen's Cougs in the Tangerine Bowl sticks out more. But that game and the wonderful mess UW created by smacking OU, remain etched in my memory. I remember Michigan cheap shotting Robbie, and Kelly Smith the hero, but I don't remember too many plays for some reason. I wanted a bigger blow to Bo's ego, but 24-17 was good enough. Life was as it was always meant to be.

I do remember Michigan coming out and hearing the Michigan fight song, thinking, "Wow, BYU is really big time."

And Professor Hawkins, a former law professor at the University of Michigan, told us, "If you had told me, that BYU would ever play Michigan in a bowl game, I would have thought you were crazy."

"And if you had told me that BYU would be favored, then I would have known you were looney."

"But then again, if you had told me that Beehive Industry's finest apparel would have sported two piecers, I never would have believed you either."
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

This is roughly the equivalent of a Ute trying to brag about defeating Southern Cal in a year when USC went 6-6 and lost to Kansas State and Stanford.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is roughly the equivalent of a Ute trying to brag about defeating Southern Cal in a year when USC went 6-6 and lost to Kansas State and Stanford.
Yeah it was terrible BYU defeated UW in the same calendar year that UW demoralized Barry and OU.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is roughly the equivalent of blah,blah, blah, blah, blah.
Scoreboard.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #20
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yeah it was terrible BYU defeated UW in the same calendar year that UW demoralized Barry and OU.
I know you fifty-something overpaid attorney types have a little trouble keeping up when the conversation turns to football, so to help you out here, we're talking about the 94 copper bowl.

But if you want to start playing the transitive property of defeating the Huskies game, one team defeated the Huskies 55-14 this year. The other team needed a bad call at the two second mark to escape an embarrassing upset.

Or, as they say around here, "scoreboard."