cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #31
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
Finally someone with a clue...

I hate to sound like a hater of my own team but...

I was always very proud of BYU's 1984 national champion ship and its awesome to think they have a slim chance at doing it again in 2008!!

But I was not so proud when I saw what took place in the 1984 season...I saw a documentary on LaVell Edwards - Comcast On Demand a couple years ago and found out the following which makes me think thank goodness for the BCS even as lame as it is.

1. BYU wins national championship beating 5th place in the Big Ten - Michigan Wolverines.

2. Michigan ended the season WITHOUT a winning record - just 6-6 which by today's standards barely qualifies a team for a bowl game.

3. The first win of the season was against #3 Pitt, not a bad win! Then I found out Pitt finished 3-7 and obviously not ranked. We beat them 20-14.

4. Nothing you can say to going undefeated but we played the wrong team in the bowl game.

5. We barely beat 6-6 Wyoming (41-38), We had a close one with 6-5 Utah (24-14) but most of them are anyway.

6. Unrelated but I found out LaVell graduated from USU and played on their football team

7. Not sure how I can justify that we were a legit champion other than its not our fault we beat anyone we ever played that year. Just thought I'd mention that info I never knew about. Maybe this year we will avenge that championship with a legit opponent?
No offense, but you're a dick.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm so grateful that I was able to watch that. Flashing "national champions" I think it was, in a ghetto graphic block-letters. Bosco limping around. So much at stake. All the build up with Bo Schembechler mouthing off. Barry Switzer whining and crying about BYU the whole season.

Thank you God, for making me a Mormon, a BYU fan, and letting me be alive and mentally cogent to take in 1984 and remember it til now.

When I die, I know "1984" will be on my lips before I slip away.
If it was such a big deal, why was there no mention of if by the Branch President in Catania, Italy? Surely there would have been some sort of directive from the Brethren in Salt Lake to spread the word, no?

My mission president didn't even talk about it and he was a tenured professor at BYU both before and after his time as MP.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #33
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If it was such a big deal, why was there no mention of if by the Branch President in Catania, Italy? Surely there would have been some sort of directive from the Brethren in Salt Lake to spread the word, no?

My mission president didn't even talk about it and he was a tenured professor at BYU both before and after his time as MP.
It took 31 posts before Il Pad mentioned the Italy Catania mission. Not bad.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It took 31 posts before Il Pad mentioned the Italy Catania mission. Not bad.
I would have responded sooner, but was unable to get to posting until a bit ago. Other things got in the way of being online.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #36
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I never tire of addressing those who dare denigrate the '84 Title. I concede BYU was far from being the strongest national champion, but thanks to the proper alignment of stars, great timing, and a little luck, BYU deserved the title, a point with which a majority of the nation's sportswriters and Div. I coaches agreed.

Consider the only three logical alternatives at season's end in 1984: Oklahoma, Washington and Florida. Thanks in part to that goofy covered wagon and some overzealous cheerleaders, Oklahoma lost its bowl game, so hard cheese. Plus, it was coached by Barry Switzer, a fact that should deny consideration in any event.

Washington? Nice team, but should a team which can't win its own conference be considered for a national championship? Survey says....fuhgeddaboudit. Plus, Washington was invited to play BYU and had it done so, could have won a title and ended the discussion. But it chose the Orange Bowl's filthy lucre, shunning all that is good and right about college sports, gambling (a UW favorite) the Wolverines could do the heavy lifting for them. Screw 'em. And need I remind the viewers about the carnage that ensued a few months later when Don James brought his wannabes to Provo? I believe the Huskies scored a field goal, which was nice.

Finally, Florida. Probably the most talent-laden team of the bunch. Also the most scandal-plagued, getting cited a few months later for over 100 NCAA violations. Think how much better the Cougs would have been had they been similarly cavalier about compliance. I believe The Sporting News picked them No. 1, but unlike the AP, UPI, and other polls, TSN cared little about things like eligibility and felonies.

BYU played by the rules, defeated every team brave enough to play them, and did so despite some tough injuries (the image of a limping Bosco, throwing the winning TD pass to Smith, will cure even the most severe case of flaccidity). BYU was far from the strongest national champion, but considering the competition, was very deserving, as hundreds of voters agreed. And you're "not so proud"?

You have ur opinion and I have mine so i guess no i dont have to be so proud.

I guess really I dont think any school deserves to be a national champion or play in a national championship. By having someone vote to decide if you will play for a championship isn't deserving at all. I think Boise deserved a chance to play in the nat'l title game in 2006 but they didn't get it.

So overall this is a waste of time to discuss since Div I-A post season is a joke and the players are the ones that get the dis! The seasons are played in vain....might as well not have a post season, the Ivy League doesn't mind it so I guess I could do without too.

Anyone else here think the bowls are a joke not factoring in money?
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #37
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
You have ur opinion and I have mine so i guess no i dont have to be so proud.

I guess really I dont think any school deserves to be a national champion or play in a national championship. By having someone vote to decide if you will play for a championship isn't deserving at all. I think Boise deserved a chance to play in the nat'l title game in 2006 but they didn't get it.

So overall this is a waste of time to discuss since Div I-A post season is a joke and the players are the ones that get the dis! The seasons are played in vain....might as well not have a post season, the Ivy League doesn't mind it so I guess I could do without too.

Anyone else here think the bowls are a joke not factoring in money?
I concur with the consensus that you are a dick, but the obvious being put to the side, BYU played by the then current rules and won. If they weren't fair, go suck on it.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #38
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I concede BYU was far from being the strongest national champion
As opposed to last year's 2 LOSS national champ that lost the last game of the regular season yet still won their conference championship game.
As opposed to the USC/LSU split where neither was good enough to be unanimous.
As opposed to the team that took 5 downs to win, as opposed to the usual 4 allowed by the rules.
Not to mention all those teams that WEREN'T ranked #1 in the nation BEFORE winning the championship game.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #39
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

For those that didn't see it, you can purchase the full broadcast here:

http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=26774
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #40
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I was there. It was real and it was spectacular.

yankees suck and yankeecoug is a Ute dick.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 09-25-2008 at 02:00 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote