cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm so grateful that I was able to watch that. Flashing "national champions" I think it was, in a ghetto graphic block-letters. Bosco limping around. So much at stake. All the build up with Bo Schembechler mouthing off. Barry Switzer whining and crying about BYU the whole season.

Thank you God, for making me a Mormon, a BYU fan, and letting me be alive and mentally cogent to take in 1984 and remember it til now.

When I die, I know "1984" will be on my lips before I slip away.
This is impressive. You would have been about 10 years old (or younger) when this happened. Add to that the fact that you were basically the only sports fan in your family and it is all the more impressive. I don't know too many primary kids that follow college football enough all season to note that Barry Switzer was whining and crying and that Bo Schembechler was mouthing off. Most primary kids today probably couldnt name the coach of any football team besides their local one, let alone coaches from around the country.

Again, thanks for sharing this impressive story.

This got me thinking about the time I was in Hershey Pennsylvania and I went to check out Wilt Chamberlain against the Knicks. Something really cool happened that night at the game.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #42
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

Hate on me all you want yall but if 1984 was the highlight of your lives then suicide might be the answer...
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #43
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I was 10 and I remember it well. (Sorry DDD, there ARE primary kids who follow football...I remember all the Barry Switzer comments, the Bryant Gumbel "Bo Diddley Tech" comment, etc. I remember Don James suddenly switching from "BYU deserves to be NC" to "No, they don't...we do") I grew up going to all the games, but the first year I really remember was 1983. My first really big BYU memory was the Young-Stinnett-Young pass that won the Holiday Bowl. I also remember the tipped pass ending to the Orange Bowl which won the championship for Miami. I also remember thinking how cool it would be if BYU could someday be national champions. The next year they were.

Last edited by ERCougar; 09-25-2008 at 03:01 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #44
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I was 10 and I remember it well. (Sorry DDD, there ARE primary kids who follow football...I remember all the Barry Switzer comments, the Bryant Gumbel "Bo Diddley Tech" comment, etc. I remember Don James suddenly switching from "BYU deserves to be NC" to "No, they don't...we do") I grew up going to all the games, but the first year I really remember was 1983. My first really big BYU memory was the Young-Stinnett-Young pass that won the Holiday Bowl. I also remember the tipped pass ending to the Orange Bowl which won the championship for Miami. I also remember thinking how cool it would be if BYU could someday be national champions. The next year they were.
If I wasn't so cold when Stinnet hit Young I think I would have ejaculated. I was only 11 at the time.

BYU football has been very, very good to us. The great part is that when we, or at least I, thought that the memories were dead and our kids would never understand what it was that addicted us so, along comes Bronco....and it appears to me that great moments and memories may continue to await us!

Allah Akbar!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
Hate on me all you want yall but if 1984 was the highlight of your lives then suicide might be the answer...
You deserve to die a horrible death.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #46
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, I was half right. You are a dick, but I guess you're an annoying ass too.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #47
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

The 1984 Holiday Bowl was only the second time I watched a BYU foootball game in any way. I went to see Jimmy Mac beat Wisconsin live in Madison in 1980, but BYU didn't show up often (ever) on TV in the 80s if you lived East of the Mississippi and didn't have cable (I don't think they showed up on cable either, but it was a moot point for us). For the 1984 game, a bunch of people in the ward rented a conference room at the local Marriott and had the game piped in on whatever channel it was on. I was in high school at the time, and it cemented my fandom. I had seen one game previously; since that time, with the exception of my mission, I've probably seen over 90% (which was a lot harder in the early 90s).
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #48
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree. Just leave a note before you do it.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
My ten year old has been to the past two Las Vegas Bowl, and watches religiously BYU football. He remembers names of QBs impressively.

While watching every minute of the recent UCLA, which my son recently inquired why I referred to them as fUCLA, he inquired, "Dad, Max Hall was QB against this same team last year right? And Beck was QB when we destroyed the Ducks, right?"

"Right, son."

So not every boy of ten has the IQ of a yankee. If I were a yankee fan, I'd commit suicide too.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #50
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
Well, I was half right. You are a dick, but I guess you're an annoying ass too.

Quit swearing on this board, it aint allowed.
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote