cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #51
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
Finally someone with a clue...

I hate to sound like a hater of my own team but...

I was always very proud of BYU's 1984 national champion ship and its awesome to think they have a slim chance at doing it again in 2008!!

But I was not so proud when I saw what took place in the 1984 season...I saw a documentary on LaVell Edwards - Comcast On Demand a couple years ago and found out the following which makes me think thank goodness for the BCS even as lame as it is.

1. BYU wins national championship beating 5th place in the Big Ten - Michigan Wolverines.

2. Michigan ended the season WITHOUT a winning record - just 6-6 which by today's standards barely qualifies a team for a bowl game.

3. The first win of the season was against #3 Pitt, not a bad win! Then I found out Pitt finished 3-7 and obviously not ranked. We beat them 20-14.

4. Nothing you can say to going undefeated but we played the wrong team in the bowl game.

5. We barely beat 6-6 Wyoming (41-38), We had a close one with 6-5 Utah (24-14) but most of them are anyway.

6. Unrelated but I found out LaVell graduated from USU and played on their football team

7. Not sure how I can justify that we were a legit champion other than its not our fault we beat anyone we ever played that year. Just thought I'd mention that info I never knew about. Maybe this year we will avenge that championship with a legit opponent?
What are you 12 years old? You've just recycled all of the same arguments every BYU fan has been hearing since 1984 as if they were some great revelation. If you're going to pretend to be a BYU fan you'll have to do better than that.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Finally someone with a clue...

I hate to sound like a hater of my own team but...

I was always very proud of BYU's 1984 national champion ship and its awesome to think they have a slim chance at doing it again in 2008!!

But I was not so proud when I saw what took place in the 1984 season...I saw a documentary on LaVell Edwards - Comcast On Demand a couple years ago and found out the following which makes me think thank goodness for the BCS even as lame as it is.

1. BYU wins national championship beating 5th place in the Big Ten - Michigan Wolverines.

2. Michigan ended the season WITHOUT a winning record - just 6-6 which by today's standards barely qualifies a team for a bowl game.

3. The first win of the season was against #3 Pitt, not a bad win! Then I found out Pitt finished 3-7 and obviously not ranked. We beat them 20-14.

4. Nothing you can say to going undefeated but we played the wrong team in the bowl game.

5. We barely beat 6-6 Wyoming (41-38), We had a close one with 6-5 Utah (24-14) but most of them are anyway.

6. Unrelated but I found out LaVell graduated from USU and played on their football team

7. Not sure how I can justify that we were a legit champion other than its not our fault we beat anyone we ever played that year. Just thought I'd mention that info I never knew about. Maybe this year we will avenge that championship with a legit opponent?
You have introduced a new aspect to trolling...

Mars gets credit for bizarre use of emoticons.

Exie gets credit for bizarre use of subject line.

You get credit for bizarre use of the bold function.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #53
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What are you 12 years old? You've just recycled all of the same arguments every BYU fan has been hearing since 1984 as if they were some great revelation. If you're going to pretend to be a BYU fan you'll have to do better than that.
What BYU-Idaho doesn't count? And I'm 23 beeotch
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #54
yankeecoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You have introduced a new aspect to trolling...

You get credit for bizarre use of the bold function.

U schooled me there, ya!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #55
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I saw it live and it was awesome. I also have a very strong memory of going to a neighbor's house who had ESPN to watch the first game of the season against Pitt. That seemed like such a huge win at the time even though Pitt struggled after that.

Another memory I have is of going to some concert in the Harris Fine Arts Center the week after BYU was first ranked #1 in the nation. As we walked on campus, my Mom asked me "So, how does it feel to be on the campus of the #1 football team in the nation?"

Good times....
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I saw it live and it was awesome. I also have a very strong memory of going to a neighbor's house who had ESPN to watch the first game of the season against Pitt. That seemed like such a huge win at the time even though Pitt struggled after that.

Another memory I have is of going to some concert in the Harris Fine Arts Center the week after BYU was first ranked #1 in the nation. As we walked on campus, my Mom asked me "So, how does it feel to be on the campus of the #1 football team in the nation?"

Good times....
Yes that Pitt game was huge. I watched it. There was some trick play on the first play, BYU long to the WR on the right side, I think.

For a new QB to come in like that and lead his team to the NC, that is amazing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #57
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

If I did I don't remember. I was 5 years old at the time.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #58
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes that Pitt game was huge. I watched it. There was some trick play on the first play, BYU long to the WR on the right side, I think.

For a new QB to come in like that and lead his team to the NC, that is amazing.
That was a great game, and initiated Foge Fazio's descent into Bolivian. I can still picture the game winning play, when Adam Haysbert (brother of a future kickass U.S. President) split the safeties for a long 6.

The game also featured a good battle between Bill Fralic, Pitt's all-everything OL, and BYU's Jim Herrmann. When I talked to Jim in '04 about that game, he was still bitter that SI talked about his getting "pancaked" by Fralic. "I beat that dude that game," Jim assured me. I'd call it a split decision, but against Fralic, that's an impressive performance.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #59
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What BYU-Idaho doesn't count? And I'm 23 beeotch
12, 23, who cares? You weren't even freaking alive, so maybe you should sit this one out.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #60
yankeecoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
12, 23, who cares? You weren't even freaking alive, so maybe you should sit this one out.
u thought i looked older in my avatar or somethign?