cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If the Y or the U win out, they will play in a BCS bowl. Neither one will play in the NC game, nor should they with such an awful schedule. It isnt our fault that UW and UCLA sucked this year. It isnt Utah's fault that Michigan sucks this year (and likely OSU). But, bottom line is that they do suck.
Had Washingon not sucked so badly BYU would have lost that one. One point doesn't give much room.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If we look at college basketball for example, playing a sucky schedule all season long is notorious for hurting teams like Gonzaga, Utah, George Mason, and Valparaiso, who time and time again show that suck conference schools simply can't compete with big bad USC or whichever your Los Angeles allegiance falls to in that sport.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Had Washingon not sucked so badly BYU would have lost that one. One point doesn't give much room.
The UW game was BYU's low water performance, but UW played its hearts' out and still had Locker, plus Pac 10 officials, a distinct advantage.

That said, I've seen little to justify BYU being placed in the title game, but I'd take it if it were gift-wrapped and pray we didn't get destroyed.

This team lacks sufficient top notch speed on defense. Its offense would move the ball on anybody.

OU would destroy BYU in a similar fashion to how it handled TCU. Can't determine what would happen with the SEC teams, as those will incredible defenses have average offenses. USC is inconsistent this year. My perception is that the SEC teams are a step down from past years.

Penn State has yet to make a believer out of me.

Need to see more matchups and if BYU can play better. If not, they should be happy to go BCS bowling if they're so lucky.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am thinking something similar, although I am not entirely convinced SC will win out. But teams in the B12 and SEC that have 1 loss....or even 2.....is it really crazy to say they are better than BYU....who is playing New Mexico this weekend? Oklahoma and Texas play each other this weekend. We are playing the Lobos. Why should either UT or OU, regardless of outcome, drop below BYU? Makes no sense.

If Oklahoma blasts Texas 52-0 and we blast New Mexico, I see no reason why BYU shouldnt jump Texas.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Gimme a break. Teams don't have control of any portion of their schedule that includes the conference. The only portion which teams control, the nonconference, consistently shows non BCS to schedule more vigorously where possible than SEC. The wimpiest schedulers on the planet are SEC teams. Do you think you'd ever find them scheduling Big 12 or Pac 10 teams? Rarely. Tennessee got beat by UCLA!

Pac 10 teams will schedule tougher out of conference teams, and BYU, Utah, Fresno State and Boise State will as well. Bottom feeders such as USU also get scheduled.

But don't play the "schedule tougher" crap as the worst offenders are the ones considered the best programs. It should be about winning period, until the Sec and to a lesser extent other SEC schools schedule quality games, that song is out of tune.

Judge a school only by its nonconference games. And I'm pissed at Holmoe for what's upcoming.
You obviously don't even understand the playing field of the BCS.

Continue banging your head against the wall ad nauseum.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
If we look at college basketball for example, playing a sucky schedule all season long is notorious for hurting teams like Gonzaga, Utah, George Mason, and Valparaiso, who time and time again show that suck conference schools simply can't compete with big bad USC or whichever your Los Angeles allegiance falls to in that sport.
I believe they have a playoff that invites 65 teams to compete for the championship. Good comparison.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
If Oklahoma blasts Texas 52-0 and we blast New Mexico, I see no reason why BYU shouldnt jump Texas.
Sure. I'd agree with that.

And then the following week, if that higher ranked BYU team were to play that Texas team, who would you pick? BYU? doubtful.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #28
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I believe they have a playoff that invites 65 teams to compete for the championship. Good comparison.
Nice sidestep.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

We dropped? After a win? Anti-Mormonism rears it's ugly head.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You obviously don't even understand the playing field of the BCS.

Continue banging your head against the wall ad nauseum.
Don't understand or disagree.

How can a conference be upgraded? That's an absurdity of the BCS system. It's based upon relative perceived strengths and weaknesses of various teams across the country when no team or teams play all teams. Thus it's judgment, but it's a "perceived" SOS.

So say, "upgrade" the schedule is idiotic, unless you're just saying the only way to get mathematical help is to upgrade the numbers, which by virtue of conference affiliation is impossible.