cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You're right. USU and Wyoming aren't really lower-tier programs. They're just perceived that way because we're all just prejudiced.

No offense, Arch, but you're starting to sound like you study at the SeattleUte school of college football commentary.
Why are Utah and BYU different than the SEC? SEC teams are supposd to be good because they play and beat other ranked SEC teams. When was the last time an SEC team played a ranked non-conference team?

That's my analysis, and it's right, ma'am.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #42
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
When was the last time an SEC team played a ranked non-conference team?
January 7th comes to mind.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #43
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why are Utah and BYU different than the SEC? SEC teams are supposd to be good because they play and beat other ranked SEC teams. When was the last time an SEC team played a ranked non-conference team?

That's my analysis, and it's right, ma'am.
Auburn and Arkansas both hosted SC.

Both were destroyed.

But they hosted SC, nonetheless.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I have conceded many times that there are biases toward certain programs and biases toward certain conferences. College football has, and always will be, a sport grounded in a hierarchy founded on assumption.

However, it's absurd for Archaea to try to suggest that SEC schedules are somehow less legitimate than the MWC's because of the SEC's easy non-conference games. Said SEC non-conference games feature Utah State, Wyoming and UNLV.

It's absurd for him to try to suggest that the MWC SOS is not actually any weaker than Auburn's SOS, it's only "perceived" as such.

Also absurd is his argument that "it should be about winning period," regardless of caliber of competition. That's even sillier. By that logic we should just crown the undefeated DIII team the champion of all of college football.
You misunderstand.

I would not equate the schedules as our weak teams are very weak often, due to a lack of money, and demographics.

What I am saying is that I'm not in favor within the sport of college football of a total meritocracy if those that have shirk their responsibility to us the football fans to provide the most entertaining games week in and week out.

Teams that voluntarily seek out great intersectional games should be rewarded so that we the fans can have more of them. Do I want to see Georgia play some penny ass D2 team, or USC or OU?

So I believe BCS conference teams should be penalized for wimping out, not maximizing the use of their resources by giving us the best games possible. I know they are gaming the system and so is BYU now, a fact I hate.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So I believe BCS conference teams should be penalized for wimping out, not maximizing the use of their resources by giving us the best games possible. I know they are gaming the system and so is BYU now, a fact I hate.
Again, you fundamentally misunderstand.

What "system" are the BCS conferences gaming? They created the system. It is their construct. They created all the rules. They created the formulas.

The BCS was not designed to give us the best games possible. It was designed to maxmize revenues within the 6 BCS conferences.

I guess that is why you struggle with this. You honestly believe that the BCS was put together for the fans. No wonder this is frustrating.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Again, you fundamentally misunderstand.

What "system" are the BCS conferences gaming? They created the system. It is their construct. They created all the rules. They created the formulas.

The BCS was not designed to give us the best games possible. It was designed to maxmize revenues within the 6 BCS conferences.

I guess that is why you struggle with this. You honestly believe that the BCS was put together for the fans. No wonder this is frustrating.
Each team now games the system.

SEC teams might occasionally schedule one interesting intersectional game and two sure home wins. Then we're left SEC ugly ball, we're 10-7 game is considered a wonderful contest.

And they know they can have two losses and still make it to the BCS NC game. If I were God of College Football, I'd disqualify any SEC team which didn't play three grand intersectional games and make it through the schedule unscathed. I know the BCS is there to screw the fans and to make money for BCS conferences.

It's a public spectator sport, so they must please us by giving us the best games possible. And non BCS who demonstrated panache and flair should be able to make it in seasons when none of the BCS have made it.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #47
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I were God of College Football, I'd disqualify any SEC team which didn't play three grand intersectional games and make it through the schedule unscathed.
You wouldn't have to disqualify it. The team would disqualify itself by playing 8 top-20 teams in one year. No one makes it through that schedule "unscathed."

I'm sorry you're bitter that your SOS is bottom of the barrel, but don't hold it against the rest of us that are busy playing six ranked teams in the next eight weeks.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Each team now games the system.

SEC teams might occasionally schedule one interesting intersectional game and two sure home wins. Then we're left SEC ugly ball, we're 10-7 game is considered a wonderful contest.

And they know they can have two losses and still make it to the BCS NC game. If I were God of College Football, I'd disqualify any SEC team which didn't play three grand intersectional games and make it through the schedule unscathed. I know the BCS is there to screw the fans and to make money for BCS conferences.

It's a public spectator sport, so they must please us by giving us the best games possible. And non BCS who demonstrated panache and flair should be able to make it in seasons when none of the BCS have made it.
Dude, Archibald, this makes ZERO sense.

So you are saying that if BYU's conference schedule annually included 4-5 nationally ranked teams (often Top 10 teams).....you would also think BYU had a duty to schedule tough OOC games, as well?

As Ozzy Guillen said......"Psssh....Please!"

Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #49
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Auburn and Arkansas both hosted SC.

Both were destroyed.

But they hosted SC, nonetheless.
Hosted? That's bullshit. It's telling they got destroyed, though. People should call bullshit on thepropganda of SEC dominance.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #50
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sidestep to what? I'm not even sure I understand your point.

You are saying that Utah and Gonzaga have success in the NCAA hoops tournament, therefore football teams from the same mid-major schools are as good as their BCS counterparts?

Clarify your point first. I'd be happy to address it.
what he's saying is that Gonzaga and Utah aren't even given the opportunity in BCS system. BYU has a better chance making the BCS out of the Big East this year than out of the MWC. Do you disagree?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote