cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
By my count the 2009 two deep includes the following:

Senior - 12 + two players who will likely go on missions following the year (Shiloah and Manti Teo).

That means that BYU's defense will return 2 starters and a total of 8 in the two deep from 2009 to 2010. That is why I say huge rebuilding year. I still think the collective talent is high enough to win 7 games.
Unless Shiloah has changed or changes his mind, as of now he doesn't have mission plans.

Starting next year, he along with Andrew Rich will likely be the starters at the Safety positions.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-09-2008 at 08:56 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Does Heaps plan to graduate early? Why would he have a spring ball under his belt by 2010?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Unless Shiloah has changed or changes his mind, as of now he doesn't have mission plans.
Manti will talk him into it so they can play together after their missions.

I think he is putting it off to play a year with Manti before going on his mission. By the time he returns Jordan Pendleton will have found his stride to Shiloah will redshirt JP's senior year and then be one of two Teo All Americans at BYU in 2014 and 2015.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Does Heaps plan to graduate early? Why would he have a spring ball under his belt by 2010?
Yes.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #35
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Defensively as well. It will be a rough year.
Defensively I think that they will be alright. Putnam and Afutiti will be around at the ends. Manumaleuna and Fuga will be back to play tackle. The Secondary will be good with Bradley, Te'o, Pittman, Rich and Buckner to mention a few. Linebacker wise I don't know who will be around. Hopefully Manti but I am not counting on that. Those guys I mentioned are a pretty good bunch to build a defense around.

Last edited by Hot Lunch; 10-09-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Defensively I think that they will be alright. Putnam and Afutiti will be around at the ends. Manumaleuna and Fuga will be back to play tackle. The Secondary will be good with Bradley, Te'o, Pittman and Buckner to mention a few. Linebacker wise I don't know who will be around. Hopefully Manti but I am not counting on that. Those guys I mentioned are a pretty good bunch to build a defense around.
In my projections of the two deep next year, every single linebacker but Grant Nelson will not be back in 2010.

I project the 4 OLBs to be So'oto, Clawson, Teo and Nelson.
I project the 4 ILBs to be Bauman, Hooks, Doman and Ah You.

Replacing 7 or 8 linebackers in a 3-4 makes for a bit of a struggle.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #37
Hot Lunch

Quote:
In my projections of the two deep next year, every single linebacker but Grant Nelson will not be back in 2010.

I totally agree with you on the linebackers but I think that with all of the other positions we won't be to bad. Is it Ogletree that just got back from his mission? I can see him cracking the 2 deep next year. Is it Ogletree that just got back and will be in school in January? From what I hear he is the real deal.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #38
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If we get a med redshirt for So'oto, he could be back. Hooks ought to hold off this year and get a med redshirt, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

The depth chart looks pretty bare for 2010, you're right. I made the comment a year ago that our future at LB is a lot thinner than our future at DL and we ought to consider the 4-3. I don't think Bronco will do that. Sorensen, Alisa, and Pritchard look like studs for the future but they won't be around.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #39
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
If we get a med redshirt for So'oto, he could be back. Hooks ought to hold off this year and get a med redshirt, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

The depth chart looks pretty bare for 2010, you're right. I made the comment a year ago that our future at LB is a lot thinner than our future at DL and we ought to consider the 4-3. I don't think Bronco will do that. Sorensen, Alisa, and Pritchard look like studs for the future but they won't be around.
There is wisdom in what you post, but I think Bronco realizes that he has a good thing going this year and if Hooks can help against TCU, I say play him this year and go for the big time. If BYU is still undefeated after TCU, I say play So'oto this year as well.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #40
Hot Lunch

Quote:

Hooks already applied and got denied. Yes they applied this past off season. It is an urban legend that you have to wait until your senior year and that is not true.