cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #51
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He doesn't give his OC any direction?
I have no clue what "direction" he gives his OC. I think you're safe in assuming he'd be calling Time Outs where he feels necessary.

I do know that he's stated more than once that he gives NO input on the offensive playcalling.

Again, I'm truly confused at what specific issues you had in regards to the clock management on Saturday. I'd be happy to consider what issues you had, but at this point I'm willing to bet you're in the same vein as the guy sitting near me at the UNLV game who was yelling for the team to "hurry things up" when they were driving with SIX minutes left and seemed to be taking their time.

(And yes, I did mock the guy. I began a long (and loud) conversation with my brother about how much time six minutes is, and how BYU hasn't had a scoring drive over six minutes all year. And no, I don't know if that's entirely accurate. )

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #52
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

So in one month's time Bronco was on track to be the greatest coach in BYU history and now he is horrible?
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #53
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
We will never have a stellar secondary based on the culture at BYU and the honor code. If you get what I mean. KW can land the supposed 2nd tier LDS player as well as the 2nd tier black player with speed, quickness, attitude, athleticism. Ain't going to happen. Something we have to live with.
I have to believe there are six guys out there with good athletic ability willing to come to BYU. I bet a guy like Austin Collie would have made a good corner. Chambers is another guy that would probably make a good corner. BYU shouldn't have any problem recruiting safeties.

I think our biggest problem is scheme. Playing deep zone all the time is not effective. You can't zone every down just as you can't blitz every down. There needs to be some element of surprise.

If BYU lacks talent, it is the coaching staff's fault. They are doing the recruiting. It seems they are locking up the recruits they want really early. If they aren't sure about they guys they are recruiting, they shouldn't offer so early.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote