cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My prediction is that Utahs defense will play well against TCU, in fact I think they hold them under 21 points. However BJ will continue his trend of turning the ball over and TCU will win 17-9.
What about the OSU game, where Johnson proved he was a gamer? Those last few minutes have me wondering if the real Johnson will stand up. I admit though he can be woefully inconsistent in his passing game.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What about the OSU game, where Johnson proved he was a gamer? Those last few minutes have me wondering if the real Johnson will stand up. I admit though he can be woefully inconsistent in his passing game.
BJ has shown flashes of brilliance but one drive against OSU doesnt make him a great qb. Especially since the first play of that drive he through an out route that was a pick 6 for OSU but he didnt have the arm strength to get it there and he one hopped it. I will say the thrown down the middle for a touchdown was a thing of beauty.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
BJ has shown flashes of brilliance but one drive against OSU doesnt make him a great qb. Especially since the first play of that drive he through an out route that was a pick 6 for OSU but he didnt have the arm strength to get it there and he one hopped it. I will say the thrown down the middle for a touchdown was a thing of beauty.
Problem for BYU is we give a opposing QBs so many chances for redemption that this defense is starting to earn "Career Day" Defense sobriquet again.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

BJ and Andy Dalton are both QBs where you essentially know what you're getting. They'll make a few plays, manage the game, and turn the ball over once or twice. The only question is whether or not the team can overcome the QBs turnovers.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
BJ and Andy Dalton are both QBs where you essentially know what you're getting. They'll make a few plays, manage the game, and turn the ball over once or twice. The only question is whether or not the team can overcome the QBs turnovers.
I have not watched every game of BJ, but it seems to me he is not quick to run with the ball post injury. Is this accurate?

It will be a great game IMHO.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #16
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have not watched every game of BJ, but it seems to me he is not quick to run with the ball post injury. Is this accurate?

It will be a great game IMHO.
He often runs like a ninny... When he decides to run the football without abandon he is dangerous as can be. Problem is that doesnt happen enough
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm so glad this game will be played in four days. If somebody's got something interesting to say about matchups, personnel, coaching philosophy, great. Subject to that, how about everyone keeping their yaps shut and let the game decide who's best? Archaea and Il Padrino, you guy don't know shit. You know zip. That's clear. Il Padrino as usual thinks it's cool to poor mouth the Utes. Why not write USC off after beating Arizona 17-10?
Fuck you, Seattle.

I know more about football than you do. You think you know about football but have never proven anything.

Rather than thinking you know about football, why don't you demonstrate your pretend knowledge and give reasons why Utah will win?

To win, Utah will have to:

- limit turnovers

- not make the same kind mental mistakes (as in false starts and idiotic personal fouls)

- get the passing game working in order to stretch the defense so the run game can be effective, but it won't be easy against the best run defense in the country

- be extremely disciplined in their blocking schemes especially when it comes to stopping the TCU DE

- control the A and B gaps with the interior DLs and the DEs will have to put a lot of pressure on the QB to get him out of the pocket. Dalton seems to be much more effective when he has time to throw.

- knock the receivers off their routes at the line of scrimmage. TCU's receivers are faster than any that Utah has faced this year and while the Utah DBs have very good speed, it's a lot easier to disrupt timing than have to run step for step with a receiver who knows where he's going.

- control the tempo of the game. The offense needs to win time of possession by a substantial margain so the defense won't tire out.

Ok, Einstein, your turn. Demonstrate your alleged knowledge.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
He often runs like a ninny... When he decides to run the football without abandon he is dangerous as can be. Problem is that doesnt happen enough
My understanding is that BJ has been asked by coaches to not take risks so he can remain healthy, but I do think he is gunshy because of the past injuries so he isn't as all out as he could be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
What don't I know?

TCU has a lot of team speed on defense, and I complimented the Utes, so I don't know shit? Huh? Put your booze down old man. Fifty ain't so bad.

TCU is a run based team, and in my opinion that will play into some of Utah's traditional strength, though Utah is not as strong up the middle as in most years. However, Utah has better corners than BYU, so the passing game won't succeed against Utah.

Utah's offense though potentially good, with Brian Johnson, it is sporadic. Yet Casteel and Godfrey should keep the Frogs honest.

Home field advantage to Utes, short week benefits them.

Instead of a drunken rejoinder why don't you analyze it yourself. What do you think of Utah's man defense against TCU's receivers?

Do you believe Utah has shored up its interior defense against the run sufficiently to stop TCU? TCU is clearly vulnerable to some defenses as they didn't play well against CSU.
Seattle won't offer any insights because he is all talk and knows it.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Utahs defense is very good. TCUs is even better.
Thus sayeth Rocky. How about we just let them play in four days? I understand why you all think TCU is invincible. I'm waiting to see what happens when they play the Utes.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote