cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am wondering if Mendenhall has gone through some serious soul searching the past few weeks. He was so gung ho to get to the BCS and seemed intent on watering down the schedule in order to eventually get BYU there. Then comes the loss to TCU and this revelation to enjoy each win. Perhaps he has abandoned making the fanbase happy with lots of easy wins by big margins and decided to allow his team to demonstrate exactly what they really are by playing more formidable opponents. I doubt we see Mendenhall go overboard because I think he is too bright and recognizes the role of consistency in college football, but I wonder if he is just getting back to basics with respect to why he loves to coach.
Or maybe somebody called him a pussy and he wanted to prove otherwise.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Or maybe somebody called him a pussy and he wanted to prove otherwise.
He strikes me as that type.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He strikes me as that type.
That was not very kind of you, but good job challenging him.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
oh lord, not you too. I thought that was strictly Archaea's schtick.
Much like the Princess Leia fantasy, bat-girl is one of those common fantasies most men wouldn't mind playing out.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
The tribune didn't make it sound like it was close to a done deal. Would be cool though!
It didn't even sound like it was in negotiations yet.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #26
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
I am wondering if Mendenhall has gone through some serious soul searching the past few weeks. He was so gung ho to get to the BCS and seemed intent on watering down the schedule in order to eventually get BYU there. Then comes the loss to TCU and this revelation to enjoy each win. Perhaps he has abandoned making the fanbase happy with lots of easy wins by big margins and decided to allow his team to demonstrate exactly what they really are by playing more formidable opponents. I doubt we see Mendenhall go overboard because I think he is too bright and recognizes the role of consistency in college football, but I wonder if he is just getting back to basics with respect to why he loves to coach.
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't think he's going to go out and fill up the schedule with away games against the likes of Oklahoma, but I think he's finally giving the Pat Hill portion of his psyche ("any team, anywhere, anytime") a little more attention.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Bronco wants to lose early next year, but I think he wants to shed the "Quest for Perfection" label as quickly as possible. It makes me wonder what next year's slogan will be ...
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #27
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't think he's going to go out and fill up the schedule with away games against the likes of Oklahoma, but I think he's finally giving the Pat Hill portion of his psyche ("any team, anywhere, anytime") a little more attention.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Bronco wants to lose early next year, but I think he wants to shed the "Quest for Perfection" label as quickly as possible. It makes me wonder what next year's slogan will be ...
Quest for survival if they don't find speed on defense and if the schedule plays out with OU, FSU and ASU next year.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts on whether Mike will have come out of hiding in time for the game?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It didn't even sound like it was in negotiations yet.

Your sooner-ego is showing.

As if the spawn of Barry would even consider playing Bo Diddly Tech in Dallas. The very thought makes reason stare!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
i hope you are right, brother goat. if so, here's to continued respectable OOC oppoenents in the future.

I BELIEVE.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote