cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Wassou?

LOL.
Wazzzzzzup....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm someone here seems awfully threatened by Utah's success. Has there been a single Utah-related post that you haven't responded to? You must be awfully proud of big brother's school. I find it odd though that you've stopped referring to BYU as "we." What exactly is your prerequisite these days?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Or, put differently, which BCS bowl will have the lowest TV ratings?
I looked up the ratings. Man, you're not kidding, are you?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I looked up the ratings. Man, you're not kidding, are you?
No.

Shocking that a Utah/Pitt game didn't draw 'em in droves.

My guess is that this year, if the Utes went to the BCS, the results would be similar, if not somewhat worse. This is yet another reason nobody wants to get stuck with the BCS buster.....lousy TV ratings.

I would guess that BYU's national following would be attractive to the bowls, however. At least it is something.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Hmm someone here seems awfully threatened by Utah's success. Has there been a single Utah-related post that you haven't responded to? You must be awfully proud of big brother's school. I find it odd though that you've stopped referring to BYU as "we." What exactly is your prerequisite these days?
There have been lots. I just enjoy responding to yours.

Any other USC BCS items you wish to discuss?

btw, if the Utes make it to the BCS, please make BYU's check payable to "The Office of The Presiding Bishopric" tia.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
My guess is that this year, if the Utes went to the BCS, the results would be similar, if not somewhat worse.
It would probably be worse, depending on the opponent, as the audience for the bowl games has been decreasing over the years.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No.

Shocking that a Utah/Pitt game didn't draw 'em in droves.

My guess is that this year, if the Utes went to the BCS, the results would be similar, if not somewhat worse. This is yet another reason nobody wants to get stuck with the BCS buster.....lousy TV ratings.

I would guess that BYU's national following would be attractive to the bowls, however. At least it is something.
I suspect a Utah/Auburn matchup would've drawn a pretty good rating...but if Utah gets matched up with the big east or acc champ (outside of FSU) there probably won't be much of a draw...however, if it were about ratings, there would've been a playoff years ago.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
This is what I meant about fan behavior becoming predictable. All the big-name schools' fanbases have their prescribed personalities, and the fans do their best to remain in character. It's just a game. You don't notice it much after awhile.

Oklahoma fans are the whiniest sore losers, revere Stoops as a god, more obsessed with Texas than with their own program, and perennially convinced that this is really (really) the year when OU'll go undefeated (really).

USC fans are nearly all rich white guys who didn't actually attend the school, but who have seriously (really) been fans of the school like forever, even when USC wasn't any good. Most of them derive great satisfaction from swooping into completely unrelated threads and throwing barbs at whatever schools happen to be represented at the time, before mentioning their national title count and then disappearing.

Ohio State, Texas, the entire SEC...we all have our personas. You can argue with TD if you want, but there's not much to be gained. In the end he's still going to be a USC fan with seven Heisman winners, seven AP titles, etc, and he'll be happy to continue to remind everybody else of their programs' relative inconsequence.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
This is what I meant about fan behavior becoming predictable. All the big-name schools' fanbases have their prescribed personalities, and the fans do their best to remain in character. It's just a game. You don't notice it much after awhile.

Oklahoma fans are the whiniest sore losers, revere Stoops as a god, more obsessed with Texas than with their own program, and perennially convinced that this is really (really) the year when OU'll go undefeated (really).

USC fans are nearly all rich white guys who didn't actually attend the school, but who have seriously (really) been fans of the school like forever, even when USC wasn't any good. Most of them derive great satisfaction from swooping into completely unrelated threads and throwing barbs at whatever schools happen to be represented at the time, before mentioning their national title count and then disappearing.

Ohio State, Texas, the entire SEC...we all have our personas. You can argue with TD if you want, but there's not much to be gained. In the end he's still going to be a USC fan with seven Heisman winners, seven AP titles, etc, and he'll be happy to continue to remind everybody else of their programs' relative inconsequence.
get out of here. You are scaring away the fish!

PS 7 AP titles, but claims to 11 titles since there was no AP titles back in the early 1900s.

Also, I must disagree with your take on OU fans. After the Orange Bowl, we all went back to the hotel, changed, and went out to dinner. As to be expected, South Beach was crawling with SC and OU fans. Everyone was super cool and very nice about the whole thing. It was a really fun weekend, even before the game. The fans were very nice. After the game, there was no whining. Everyone just said, "hey, great game, see you next time."

Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
get out of here. You are scaring away the fish!

PS 7 AP titles, but claims to 11 titles since there was no AP titles back in the early 1900s.

Also, I must disagree with your take on OU fans. After the Orange Bowl, we all went back to the hotel, changed, and went out to dinner. As to be expected, South Beach was crawling with SC and OU fans. Everyone was super cool and very nice about the whole thing. It was a really fun weekend, even before the game. The fans were very nice. After the game, there was no whining. Everyone just said, "hey, great game, see you next time."
Oh, I'm not talking about real-life persona. I'm talking about online persona. I think you know what I mean.

And I'm aware of your title count. I use AP because everybody knows what it is. It's hard to calculate total counts because so many people were handing out titles and everything's so inconsistent. Notre Dame claims twenty-something titles, Oklahoma claims seventeen. It's kind absurd. There must have been years when three and four different teams were all named national champions.

But no more of that. Boy am I glad we finally came up with a way to crown a legitimate consensus national champion! No more controversy.