cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default disconnect between team/bronco and fans

reading in the Salt Lake Tribune BYU blog (http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/) got me frustrated hearing Travis Bright's displeasure with the fans and their support. Bright is a team captain. He's a main representative of the team and what they think. Between this and Bronco bitching about the booing every 5 seconds, it's getting really old. Bronco says fans have to prove to him they are fully invested. That's getting old. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the team is finding ways to win. I'm pumped that we are 9-1 and in the top 20. I just wish the were more of a connection between the players and fans. I wish the team being in the 'spotlight' wasn't a 'distraction', rather it was a something they embraced and thrived on.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

If Bronco didn't love fans he wouldn't set up firesides for us every week. What more could we ask for?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Bronco should shut his Coaches Circle pie hole about the fans proving they are fully invested. The school would not be paying him his current salary if it werent for the fans....who are basically paying it.

The expectations are really high right now because we have a rare convergence of offensive talent, which we should not squander via half-hearted effort.

The loss to TCU does dampen enthusiasm. Welcome to big-time football, where the goal is NOT a winning season or to make it to a bowl game. The goal is to play on the biggest stages. Losing a game puts an end to that goal.

A 9-1 season is still great and fans should not abandon the team, but BYU cannot have it both ways......do the Cougars want to compete at the highest level or not? And if so, then they need to get used to rabid fans that live and die with every single mistake or success. This problem isnt unique to BYU, maybe BYU just isnt used to high expectations.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Well, that's the price you pay when you are on a "Quest for Perfection!". By definition, the season is a failure already.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

i have to wonder if utah being 10-0 has to do with the supposed 'deflation' of fans or perhaps the team? if utah were 6-4 or 7-3 while BYU is posting a 9-1 record if the 'feeling' would be much different.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i have to wonder if utah being 10-0 has to do with the supposed 'deflation' of fans or perhaps the team? if utah were 6-4 or 7-3 while BYU is posting a 9-1 record if the 'feeling' would be much different.
Ding, ding, ding!

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Bronco can't play the 9-1 card if he also plays the dumb down the schedule card.

The last six games, we are 5-1, but during those six games we've played the level of football that would have earned us 3-3 had we played a normal schedule.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
And the corollary to this accurate statement is ... if we beat Utah, all will be forgiven.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Do any of you here think BYU fans boo more than other fans? I do, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's somehow connected to the persecution complex we have as Mormons.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Do any of you here think BYU fans boo more than other fans? I do, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's somehow connected to the persecution complex we have as Mormons.
Not even close. Go to any sports game in Philadelphia.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote