cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
There is absolutely no reason that Utah can sustain a solid football program. Utah can become a team that can consistently compete for the MWC title, and finish in the top 25 every few years. This is about the best you can expect for in terms of success at a MWC school. There is no reason that Utah cannot do this.

BCS mone or lack thereof is starving the non BCS schools. That's a reason why BSU, Utah and once upon a time, BYU could arise. I wonder if the BCS will just starve the nonBCS to death.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 PM   #22
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I am also with SeattleUte on the fact that Kyle Whittingham was not the best available coach for Utah to hire at the time. We could have done better, but we needed a defensive coaching staff for the Fiesta Bowl. It was not like we were going to be able to have Morgan Scalley as a player coach for the game.

Utah had to hire Whittingham in light of the situation, and instead of starting a nation wide search like Hill would normally do he stayed in house to make sure that Utah finished off our historic season with a win. Utah will never have another year like 2004, so it was necessary to close that thing out and close it out convincingly like we did. While I would not take 5 years of losing seasons for that, KW was good enough to at least hold down the fort at mediocrity for 5 years if he turned out to not be a good choice.

Utah was used by UM as a stepping stone to one of the biggest jobs in college football, and I'm sure there is another coach that certainly would have liked to take his shot at Utah to try to move him up. Utah will never be a destination school for any coach as long as we are in the MWC, but we are certainly a school for an up and coming coach to show his stuff at.

Santos and Goatnapper severely underestimate what the University of Utah is capable. We are capable of being a consistent contender for the conference championship and a team that wins championships. We are a team that can end up with a solid 10 win plus season and a top 25 ranking every 3-4 years or so.

As for Goatnapper's shot at Giacoletti, the jury is still out on him. This year will tell what he is made of as a coach. Last year was the perfect storm where everything went wrong for the program starting from when we got knocked out of the NCAA tournament. People just tend to forget how he pulled a great upset, with a solid gameplan to get Utes to the Sweet Sixteen, a place that BYU can only dream about anywhere close to.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's ludicrous to assert that you hired the best available coach? OK, whatever. I didn't care enough to read your entire post about KW, but about your theory that one game against a #45 rated Pitt was more important than the subsequent five years...do any of your Ute pals buy that load of crap?
No. 45? No. Not Pitt. Pitt was top 20. You must mean that Michigan team BYU beat by six points in 1984.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason that Utah can sustain a solid football program. Utah can become a team that can consistently compete for the MWC title, and finish in the top 25 every few years. This is about the best you can expect for in terms of success at a MWC school. There is no reason that Utah cannot do this.
I agree with this. I see Utah, TCU and BYU all reaching this ceiling over the next decade.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No. 45? No. Not Pitt. Pitt was top 20. You must mean that Michigan team BYU beat by six points in 1984.

Sagarin #45. Look it up.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As for Goatnapper's shot at Giacoletti, the jury is still out on him. This year will tell what he is made of as a coach. Last year was the perfect storm where everything went wrong for the program starting from when we got knocked out of the NCAA tournament. People just tend to forget how he pulled a great upset, with a solid gameplan to get Utes to the Sweet Sixteen, a place that BYU can only dream about anywhere close to.
Crowton had a perfect storm as well. I think he is better than last year, but if you think he could be a "good" coach and produce that, suffice it to say I disagree.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #27
SeattleUte

Quote:
Sagarin #45. Look it up.

They were top 20 in the rankings that matter before playing Utah. That Utah pulvarized them and thereby reduced their rankings should not be used against Utah.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They were top 20 in the rankings that matter before playing Utah. That Utah pulvarized them and thereby reduced their rankings should not be used against Utah.
#45 Sagarin before they played Utah. Overrated in the human polls. Pitt was about even with 5-6 BYU in the computer rankings that year. Not a good team.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #29
SeattleUte

Quote:
#45 Sagarin before they played Utah. Overrated in the human polls. Pitt was about even with 5-6 BYU in the computer rankings that year. Not a good team.
I love the irony of this.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #30
SeattleUte

If nothing else, Utah's 2004 achievement erased any last vestage of preening from BYU over 1984. With what's been said about Utah in 2004, 1984 has been reduced to anecdotal significance, even to zoobies, just a date.

—Paul Auster