cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing that 1984 BYU and Utah 2004 have is that both teams had a significantly sub-.500 SOS. The difference is that BYU actually won a national championship. In both polls.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If nothing else, Utah's 2004 achievement erased any last vestage of preening from BYU over 1984. With what's been said about Utah in 2004, 1984 has been reduced to anecdotal significance, even to zoobies, just a date.
Whatever dude, all your season meant to me was one game which you beat us pretty handily, led by a coach who is long in the rear view mirror. I didn't watch any of your other games. I only recall the Pitt thing because I'm into computer rankings and I remember the discussion. I didn't know it had much to do with BYU's national championship.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
One thing that 1984 BYU and Utah 2004 have is that both teams had a significantly sub-.500 SOS. The difference is that BYU actually won a national championship. In both polls.
Couldn't have happened in 2004, especially with BYU's anemic victory margins. Did you know Georgetown won the Rose Bowl once? Army won the NC?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Couldn't have happened in 2004, especially with BYU's anemic victory margins. Did you know Georgetown won the Rose Bowl once? Army won the NC?
For the sake of all that is Holy at this Nation's Holiest of Holies Military Institutions let it be well known that the year after Army won its last NC it did not follow that up by losing to CSU, UNM, SDSU and TCU.

It was a program. Utah had a good team in 2003 and followed that up with a great team in 2004, but I think saturday will show that a bunch of tater farmers have a better "program."

Army in fact can beat BCS teams today...on the road!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
For the sake of all that is Holy at this Nation's Holiest of Holies Military Institutions let it be well known that the year after Army won its last NC it did not follow that up by losing to CSU, UNM, SDSU and TCU.

It was a program. Utah had a good team in 2003 and followed that up with a great team in 2004, but I think saturday will show that a bunch of tater farmers have a better "program."

Army in fact can beat BCS teams today...on the road!
Army won the NC while all the erstwhile linemen, linebackers, full, and half and quarterbacks at Notre Dame, MI, USC, etc. were otherwise occupied at Iwo Jima, Normandy, et al. Big deal.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Army won the NC while all the erstwhile linemen, linebackers, full, and half and quarterbacks at Notre Dame, MI, USC, etc. were otherwise occupied at Iwo Jima, Normandy, et al. Big deal.
Actually, they won a NC with many of those former players from other schools. Army had one end who was a 5 time AA, twice at Ole Miss and 3 times at West Point.

Rules were different back then and Red Blaik knew how to play the game. It must be pointed out that both Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard came straight to West Point from HS.