cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I simply don't understand why anyone would have a problem with Crowton. I thought he was doing a terrific job at BYU as head coach and would love to have seen him be there for 30+ years.

That said, the single most idiotic thing he did was want to win by 9 not 2. He had the game won. All that had to be done was run the clock out. Hell, Lance Rice did that against the AFA and he's not even a coach.

Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps his biggest mistake was taking the job after Edwards. That was a tough sitation to put himself in as anything less than what Edwards did was bound to cause Cougar Nation to howl.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Crowton and Chuck stobart should captain Utah forever.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Crowton and Chuck stobart should captain Utah forever.
That could be a brutal combination, unless Stobart allowed Crowton to be the OC without interfering. Crowton as an OC only does a great job.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #24
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Team unity is the most overrated concept in sports, IMHO.

Show me a team that's not unified going into a season. I can show you quotes from the papers that said "this is the most unified we've ever been. last year we had guys doing their own thing, but now we all hang out together and there's a great team feeling". I can show you this quote every August going back to the late 80's when I started following the Cougs religiously.

Also, show me a team that's unified when you've had three losing seasons in a row or at the end of the season when the team has underachieved drastically.
I did not say untiy, nor that Bronco's main job was to 'unite' as a team. There is a HUGE difference between being united and not believing in your coach, ie losing players who, like it or not, don't play 100% for you because they don't feel like you are capable enough to be doing the right things. THAT is what the biggest problem was, and as the shitty losses piled up, the problem got worse and worse. Crowton became more and more desperate.

IMO, when the kick sailed wide v. Boise State, that team was done. Too many players had it in their heads that their coach was an idiot and no matter what he did from that point on, save beating Utah & a bowl game, he was not going to win them back.

I am not saying that Crowton does not deserve his share of blame for losing the players as the Engemann situation, the "Win by 9 not 2" and the UNR all were mistakes on his part that hurt him. But the players who quit (I believe yfanatico even said he was one of them) deserve as much of the blame for ultimately getting him fired and a losing season in 2004 as anybody else.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Lance Reynolds Jr. openly admitted to a highly respected poster on Cougarboard that he tanked the UNM 2004 game because he was afraid that a bowl game would save Crowton's job. yfanatico has also admitted he/they likewise give less effort in an attempt to ouster Crowton.

As it turned out the HC issues are what sunk him (regardless of what you guys might think of Crowton's other coaching inadequacies). My dad got that directly from Pres Samuelson.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #26
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Lance Reynolds Jr. openly admitted to a highly respected poster on Cougarboard that he tanked the UNM 2004 game because he was afraid that a bowl game would save Crowton's job. yfanatico has also admitted he/they likewise give less effort in an attempt to ouster Crowton.
Was it Gman who got that inside info, is he the 'highly respected' poster?

Furthermore I don't see players, in games regardless what they say, giving less of an effort.

They might not put in the time in the weight room or in the film room, but tanking it purposely on the field? I highly doubt that.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Was it Gman who got that inside info, is he the 'highly respected' poster?

Furthermore I don't see players, in games regardless what they say, giving less of an effort.

They might not put in the time in the weight room or in the film room, but tanking it purposely on the field? I highly doubt that.
have you forgotten all those blowout losses?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #28
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
have you forgotten all those blowout losses?
There is a difference between being deflated and discouraged on the field and tanking a game purposefully hoping your coach loses his job.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #29
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

As it turned out the HC issues are what sunk him (regardless of what you guys might think of Crowton's other coaching inadequacies). My dad got that directly from Pres Samuelson.
Says a lot about their character, IMO.

As much as I thought that my coach in High School was shitty and I could have called a better game than him, I always gave my all and did everything that I could to win the game because I wanted to win. Win for my school, win for my team and win for me.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #30
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Don't believe everything you hear. You ought to know that.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote