cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #21
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Now if a significant number of non LDS parents of athletes on the team or those being recruited by the school make similar statements then Bronco would be wise to listen.
It's always wise to listen regardless of numbers.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #22
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yes. But get this straight because if you don't, you'll completely miss the boat.

Bronco's "way" that is working is getting players like Beck, Brown, Harline, Kuresa, Jensen, Kehl, Nixon, Criddle, etc. Then he uses coaches like Anae, Doman, Kaufusi, Hill to develop strategy and coach these guys. Then he motivates them to succeed. Nothing more or less than that.

The firesides and the spirit talk and the BOM reading is not the reason the team is 8-2.

Cheryl's perspective is important in that it gives a pulse on the non-member's view of Bronco. If he offends instead of attracting non-LDS, the program will suffer. This team depends on non-LDS less than any good BYU team ever but it's still nice to have Curtis, Coats, Reed, Robinson (am I forgetting any wow that's not many).
I think that non member recruits will find a losing record more offensive than anything Bronco does. I agree with her that the letter writing is dumb, but I think the players evaluating the recruit makes perfect sense.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 AM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I think that non member recruits will find a losing record more offensive than anything Bronco does. I agree with her that the letter writing is dumb, but I think the players evaluating the recruit makes perfect sense.
I don't really agree with any of her specific points. Those two policies seem reasonable to me.

What I theorized is that it's not necessarily those two policies that has her perturbed but the general aggressiveness LDS tone that Bronco has created which probably feels like Clay County circa 1836 to her.

The W-L is all that matters to me and I agree with you bottom line, it's probably mostly what a non-LDS recruit or team member cares about. But I do think at this point the hardass gospel stuff has played its course for BYU fans and will do more harm than good from this point on.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 AM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2264063
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 AM   #25
RockyBalboa

The louder people irrationally bitch and moan about Bronco's approach the more solid his approach works.

Weeding out is a good thing. Doesn't take much to see bitterness exposed.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #26
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wait what could cause me to be right or wrong?
You said:

Quote:
If the Goatnapper Theorem is true, it will show itself shortly. Now is the perfect time for Bronco to let go of the hardass gospel stuff and just start coaching football. He needs non-LDS and it's going to start hurting him if he doesn't loosen the reigns on this approach soon.
So if he doesn't let up he will be 'hurt' which I take to mean he will lose games or recruits, I assume. If he keeps winning or doing well and recruitng well over time, then he is probably smart enough to temper his approach, if necesary, to allow him to be successful.

ALthough in re-reading your post I suppose you did not really predict what he would do, so, nevermind.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You said:

So if he doesn't let up he will be 'hurt' which I take to mean he will lose games or recruits, I assume. If he keeps winning or doing well and recruitng well over time, then he is probably smart enough to temper his approach, if necesary, to allow him to be successful.

ALthough in re-reading your post I suppose you did not really predict what he would do, so, nevermind.

Yeah, I kind of believe that he is in the process of loosening up on the hardass gospel stuff. But maybe that's just more of a hope.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The louder people irrationally bitch and moan about Bronco's approach the more solid his approach works.

Weeding out is a good thing. Doesn't take much to see bitterness exposed.
With all due respect, I think that's a hard headed, stupid, prideful, arrogant, self-righteous approach that will lead to failure. With all due respect.

Bronco needlessly alienating non-LDS and luke warm LDS will not further the program. He's going to get the active LDS recruit whether he pounds the pulpit or not.

I can see that it was needed over the past couple years in bringing back the fan base, sending a message to the team about living the HC in the wake of the scandals, and in selling the virtues of the program to the powers that be. But the approach has outlived its usefullness and there is no need for it anymore.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
RockyBalboa

Quote:
With all due respect, I think that's a hard headed, stupid, prideful, arrogant, self-righteous approach that will lead to failure. With all due respect.

Bronco needlessly alienating non-LDS and luke warm LDS will not further the program. He's going to get the active LDS recruit whether he pounds the pulpit or not.

I can see that it was needed over the past couple years in bringing back the fan base, sending a message to the team about living the HC in the wake of the scandals, and in selling the virtues of the program to the powers that be. But the approach has outlived its usefullness and there is no need for it anymore.
I trust Bronco to be a better judge of whether the approach has outlived it's usefullness or not. Especially considering he's only near the end of his 2nd year as Head Coach, lol.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #30
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I trust Bronco to be a better judge of whether the approach has outlived it's usefullness or not. Especially considering he's only near the end of his 2nd year as Head Coach, lol.
In the same light, I also trust a non-LDS parent of one of the most solid guys on the team to have a valuable opinion.

Also, just so you know Rocky, my arrogant, self-righteous comment from last post was at your opinion not Bronco's. I don't think Bronco shares that level of hard-headedness with you.