cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A large part of what you say is true, but you ignore the hostile staff segment of the U. That exists as well. That element will prevent a full embrace by local members. It's also part of its appeal, it does not fully embrace the Church, so in a way it courts that element.
If I'm ignoring any hostility by the staff at the U, it is out of ignorance. I've never been a student there. I can only make my observation based on what Utah grads have told me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To the extent that people do not get hired at the Univ. of Utah simply because they are Mormon, no matter what their personal beliefs on history, science, gay, etc. are, that will make many Mormons look at the institution dimly.
Because I am not involved in the world of academia, I ask this:

How much influence does Michael Young, the President of the University of Utah and devout Mormon have in the hiring of Professors?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Articles like this are par for the course at the Univ. of Utah it seems:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon141.html
Why should "LDS Studies" necessarily be part of the U of U's mission? I'm not even sure there's enough material to fill a single course, for that matter.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Because I am not involved in the world of academia, I ask this:

How much influence does Michael Young, the President of the University of Utah and devout Mormon have in the hiring of Professors?
Moron, if they didn't get hired for being Mormons the U of U would be violating federal labor laws. Waters is baiting you. His evidence is that they didn't think Quinn was a worthy hire. Big deal. Tenure track positions are incredibly competitive in case you didn't know. I doubt anyone could get to first base making a case that the U of U didn't hire him because he was LDS.

YOur point about Young can be made more diretly. The U of U hired a qualified academic LDS as its president.

I'd say mostly the U of U ignores the LDS Church. It's of no moment to the U of U. The LDS Church, though, hates the U of U's academic culture.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Moron, if they didn't get hired for being Mormons the U of U would be violating federal labor laws. Waters is baiting you. His evidence is that they didn't think Quinn was a worthy hire. Big deal. Tenure track positions are incredibly competitive in case you didn't know. I doubt anyone could get to first base making a case that the U of U didn't hire him because he was LDS.

YOur point about Young can be made more diretly. The U of U hired a qualified academic LDS as its president.

I'd say mostly the U of U ignores the LDS Church. It's of no moment to the U of U. The LDS Church, though, hates the U of U's academic culture.
Reverse trolling. Very nice, but not subtle.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

U's fan base is growing nicely with rowdy blue-collar fans and good LDS fans in their historic proportions. In my 95% LDS neighborhood Ute fans outnumber Y fans 10-to-1.

Be yourself at the U, as a student, parent, fan, financial supporter. No pretense, no narcs.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
U's fan base is growing nicely with rowdy blue-collar fans and good LDS fans in their historic proportions. In my 95% LDS neighborhood Ute fans outnumber Y fans 10-to-1.

Be yourself at the U, as a student, parent, fan, financial supporter. No pretense, no narcs.
Tell that to the Avenue Ute fans. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

This is an excellent point. Waters says that the Utes have a tiny fan base. I'd like to test that propostion. I've seen here in Washington that the Huskies have many fans outside students and alumni. It's the community team, and has a lot of blue collar support, etc. This seems it could be especially true in a market like SLC with no pro team. Utah is and can be the alternative to BYU. Utah's real team.

Utah has 27,000 students, roughly the same as BYU, and there are millions of people in Utah unaffiliated with BYU. But Utah has a tradition that bascially goes back to 1994, or, even, 2003. I bet Utah has a larger fan base than people think. If they make a BCS bowl a near annual tradition (not unattainable in the MWC) the fan base will become more evident.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Millions of people in Utah unaffiliated with byu?

2.7 million people in Utah.

Utah suffers from what all commuter bedroom schools suffer from--lack of strong support from students and alumni. Too many people who attended merely out of convenience and price.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 12-29-2008 at 06:54 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Millions of people in Utah unaffiliated with byu?

2.7 million people in Utah.

Utah suffers from what all commuter bedroom schools suffer from--lack of strong support from students and alumni. Too many people who attended merely out of convenience and price.
Utah and Washington are very similar. Except Washington state doesn't legislatively require admission standards be relaxed for instaters. Utah is a poor man's Washington right now.

—Paul Auster