cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #71
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I vote that cougjunkie wins this debate and we end it.

Come, gentlemen. There is no honor to be found here.
YES!!!!!!!!! WINNER!!!!!!!

By the way that was a very funny exchange between 2 grown men. One thing if i can weigh in real quick, Mike honestly i understand its your board but dont be a bitch and tell him you are going to take it away from Rocky because you cant handle the heat. You were baiting him and you know it. Rocky good night you have a short fuse.

carry on, and may god be with you til we meet again.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #72
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
That's true. I have a friend that literally has not been asked out on a date in 8 or 9 years. I don't see her challenges in life as being all that much different than being gay, with the notable exception (that ironically she pointed out to me) that at least the other single women in the church do not ostracize her like many of the single men do with the guys they suspect are gay.

I think the difference is hope. She still has the hope that some day she will be able to find an eternal mate and (at least until menopause) have a family.

The homosexual doesn't even have that to grasp onto.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #73
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I think the difference is hope. She still has the hope that some day she will be able to find an eternal mate and (at least until menopause) have a family.

Take a look at a 500 pound male and female, who can barely get out of the chair, and tell me that they really hope for that. In theory, perhaps, but in reality I think not.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #74
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Take a look at a 500 pound male and female, who can barely get out of the chair, and tell me that they really hope for that. In theory, perhaps, but in reality I think not.
Didn't we already have a thread about that?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #75
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Exactly, my roommate who is shorter than me, and I'm only 5'6" and weighs 3 bills told me the other day that she feels like she's finally accepted the fact that she will never have children, and that she needs to focus maintaing solid friendships with people because that is as close as she will come to having companionship in this life. How hopeful does that sound? She's yet another example of someone that in the two years I have lived with her has not even come close to being out on a date.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #76
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I wonder what you would do about this, assuming ti is true? Do you propose a chacnge in doctrine or approach or what?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #77
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I wonder what you would do about this, assuming ti is true? Do you propose a chacnge in doctrine or approach or what?
To change the approach, one would have to jettison, ten thousand years of tradition to arrive at what?

We desire a family, where father and mother procreate and care for children.

We desire a committed couple of persons for what?

Or, change it so, gay persons get a free get out of jail card in regards to the Law of Chastity?

Or maybe, the Law of Chastity is abolished, then we wouldn't have to worry about anything sexual. If you marry, you must remain loyal, but if not, everything goes?

Last edited by Archaea; 07-28-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #78
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Exactly, my roommate who is shorter than me, and I'm only 5'6" and weighs 3 bills told me the other day that she feels like she's finally accepted the fact that she will never have children, and that she needs to focus maintaing solid friendships with people because that is as close as she will come to having companionship in this life. How hopeful does that sound? She's yet another example of someone that in the two years I have lived with her has not even come close to being out on a date.
I'm assuming it's you who's 5'6", and she who weighs 300 lbs.

Yes, people can lose hope, and there are circumstances that make it more difficult to find someone. But even though she says she's given up hope, I'm sure there's still a seed of it there. She might lose weight, she might find someone who isn't turned off by her weight - there are still possibilities. A reason to keep herself ready and worthy for that.

And I'm not saying she doesn't have a significant trial facing her.

But she doesn't have her church telling her that she's wrong for even wanting to find someone, and if she did, she couldn't marry him. Plus, that she's a pervert for feeling that way.

That, in essence is what LDS homosexuals are told.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 AM   #79
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I'm assuming it's you who's 5'6", and she who weighs 300 lbs.

Yes, people can lose hope, and there are circumstances that make it more difficult to find someone. But even though she says she's given up hope, I'm sure there's still a seed of it there. She might lose weight, she might find someone who isn't turned off by her weight - there are still possibilities. A reason to keep herself ready and worthy for that.

And I'm not saying she doesn't have a significant trial facing her.

But she doesn't have her church telling her that she's wrong for even wanting to find someone, and if she did, she couldn't marry him. Plus, that she's a pervert for feeling that way.

That, in essence is what LDS homosexuals are told.
You clearly haven't been in a singles ward for a long time. They actually say things to us like "Everyone needs to be prepared to be self-sufficient, because not all of us will have the opportunity to marry in this lifetime." How old were you when you got married, my own mother has started to say things to me like "when and IF you get married..." Truthfully I really don't think she believes it will ever happen, and my mom isn't bad compared to some of the stuff I've heard insensitive parents saying to their older single children.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #80
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I wish I had the answer. That's the dilemma. The problem is that the prejudices of the church membership at large are so set right now, and they are ratified by the current doctrine, that I think it would take a change in doctrine to make any difference.

It's not my place to change the doctrine regarding this. However, if it were made, I would welcome it.