cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I had a Bishop at BYU call me into his office to ask me why I didn't go to Church. He told me he wouldn't sign my EE if I didn't attend. I told him I had only missed sacrament once the whole semester. He didn't believe me and made me say hi to him every Sunday for a month before he would sign my EE. I'm not surprised some might fight that time of crap instead of accomadate.

I will tell you what is shocking to me is that this is the first time anything like this has happened.

People with power run amuk all the time. There is a judge up here in Davis County that if you get in front of him, don't bother getting an attorney. Whatever your attorney and the prosecutor work out, the judge ingores it and throws the book at the person.

I have heard both non-mormons and mormons talk about him and say he brings his orthodox mormon view to every case he judges. In other words, justice is a hell of a lot more important than mercy.

I just hope this thing coming out in the open isn't going to open up a whole new effort by the fundamentalists to nail those damn athletes that get special treatment.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I know for a fact one of us is right.
Which one?

I seriously don't know the answer, which I guess would make it the former?

That said, knowing you're old and have a 20-something cheerleader for your avatar weirds me out.

I guess I think we both might be right.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Oh, so now bad people only commit one type of sin! Not only are they bad people, but their sins lack creativity.

What variety of sins do you commit? Give us some examples.

I used the word 'dick' once on a message board.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #24
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Which one?

I seriously don't know the answer, which I guess would make it the former?

That said, knowing you're old and have a 20-something cheerleader for your avatar weirds me out.

I guess I think we both might be right.
I understand why it might weird you out. When I was young a lot of things I do now would have wierded me out. Based on my beliefs about old people, I am surprised I can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #25
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
But you did.
The fact that I worked with his insanity does not mean he isn't insane. He seemed really concerned that I refused to go to Family Home Evening but couldn't rationalize that as a reason to withhold my E.E. The lack of trust from a Bishop was sad, especially when he implied inspiration but lacked the truth.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
The fact that I worked with his insanity does not mean he isn't insane. He seemed really concerned that I refused to go to Family Home Evening but couldn't rationalize that as a reason to withhold my E.E. The lack of trust from a Bishop was sad, especially when he implied inspiration but lacked the truth.
But you did it anyway because it was the easiest means to an end. Then I bet you moved to another ward.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #27
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Oddly, I've met more jerk athletes (innumerable) than I have jerk Mormon Bishops (possibly one).
This is a great point. All we have is one side of the story, yet so many on this board rush to condemn the Bishop & SP as mullahs. Whatever - I agree you are far more likely to encounter an arrogant, jerk college athlete than an overbearing, jerk BYU Bishop.

Look, anybody who went to BYU knows that nobody has good church attendance as a student, and that nobody gets kicked out for "poor attendance". Since speculation seems to be today's drink, I'd bet all I have that this bishop did all he could to keep this kid in school.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #28
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I understand why it might weird you out. When I was young a lot of things I do now would have wierded me out. Based on my beliefs about old people, I am surprised I can walk and chew gum at the same time.
I went to a Utah Grizzlies hockey game about a decade ago. They had the hot tub set up outside the glass. I watched some old drunk guy ogle the girls in bikinis. I had a similar experience at a Red Rocks (wife = former gymnastics coach...don't judge me) meet with some creepy old guy checking out the gymnasts.

Listen, I've got hormones. I think. But old dudes should stick to checking out old chicks. That ought to be a law or something.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
You're right. I'm a pioneer. I've officially broken the message board speculation barrier. Everyone please feel free now.
Ok.

Personally, I think the kid confessed to believing in UFO's and told Bishop Childs that he wanted to run away to a nudist colony. Therefore, Childs was totally justified in pulling his endorsement, and the HC office didn't get involved.

There, now the story finally makes sense. Thanks for "freeing" us, Smails.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
This is a great point. All we have is one side of the story, yet so many on this board rush to condemn the Bishop & SP as mullahs. Whatever - I agree you are far more likely to encounter an arrogant, jerk college athlete than an overbearing, jerk BYU Bishop.

Look, anybody who went to BYU knows that nobody has good church attendance as a student, and that nobody gets kicked out for "poor attendance". Since speculation seems to be today's drink, I'd bet all I have that this bishop did all he could to keep this kid in school.
How much would you like to bet. This isn't CB so we can put $50 on it.

In order for the Bishop to have had to do all he could to keep this kid in school, the kid would have to have broken one of God's commandments and done so repeatedly. Do we have a bet.