cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My reign of terror is over

Was officially released today as Scoutmaster.

It's weird being released. You get a brief "thank you, we are releasing you" from the Bishopric the week before, then they announce it in Sacrament meeting, and then it's done. There is no goodbye, there is no farewell speech to the boys, you just show up to EQ, and that's it.

No words from any boy or parent. No back-slapping, nothing.

Kind of a weird system we have.

I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to work with the young men. I gave up time with my family (esp. w/ my son), I gave up aspects of some of my hobbies/leisure interests, but it was worth it (except for the part of not spending time w/ my son).

On the other hand, I have a better understanding now of why people turn down callings. It's a lot of time, often in behalf of people who could care less. Or at least, sometimes it feels like that.

The point is, you don't do this stuff for appreciation or love. You do it because you believe in service and the idea of possibly making a difference, even if most of the time it feels like you are spinning your wheels.

This is the end of the Western, where the cowboy rides out of town. Alone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I don't know, in my wards, we've definitely had farewell meetings (not Sacrament, but some other forum) for scoutmasters who served long and well. They have all been touching, and it made you realize the deep impact the outgoing scoutmasters had on a generation of young men. I'm surprised your ward didn't do anything. Maybe they will. Maybe they'll call the ol' cowboy back from his lonely ride out of town. Or maybe they won't.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I don't know, in my wards, we've definitely had farewell meetings (not Sacrament, but some other forum) for scoutmasters who served long and well. They have all been touching, and it made you realize the deep impact the outgoing scoutmasters had on a generation of young men. I'm surprised your ward didn't do anything. Maybe they will. Maybe they'll call the ol' cowboy back from his lonely ride out of town. Or maybe they won't.
Sounds to me like they're just a bunch of ill-mannered ingrates, ignoramuses. I'm sorry, Mike.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm as guilty of poor manners and ingratitude as anyone else.

Now that I've walked a mile I will be more sensitive in showing appreciation.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm as guilty of poor manners and ingratitude as anyone else.

Now that I've walked a mile I will be more sensitive in showing appreciation.
I have gone through a similar thought process. I wonder what happened to all the friends of years past. I think, they are a bunch of self-absorbed jerks. Then on further reflection I think I must be a very painful person to associate with, and also realize I have done next to nothing to cultivate those old friendships.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One of the things I am most proud of:

In my 3+ years, we camped almost every month. We had a summer camp every summer. We had two different Philmont excursions (which I did not attend).

In all that time, I didn't miss a single campout.

There was one campout, where I made arrangements to not attend. But it was canceled by the YM president due to predicted hail, ice, and snow.

For another campout, me and the YM President showed up the church, and not a single boy came. We canceled that campout as well. But I was proud, that in a troop that had not regularly camped in sometime, where cancellations of campouts were frequent, we had a group of adults that were arguably more dedicated than the scouts. We had more than one campout where there were more adults than boys. As in 6 adults, and 4 boys.

All of those campouts kind of blur together. Different boys, different adults, different places, different weather.

I hope that is part of my legacy, that the troop continues to camp.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

So have you been given a new calling yet?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
So have you been given a new calling yet?
No.

I tell you it was very refreshing to sleep through part of EQ lesson last week. Just like old times.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No.

I tell you it was very refreshing to sleep through part of EQ lesson last week. Just like old times.
If so, you'll absolutely love HP meeting.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The three main activities one should indulge in during EQ:
1. Staring at your watch
2. Fiddling with your smartphone
3. Napping