cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lance and 60 minutes

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=6567822
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Now Lance has to claim that 4 different people are lying about him (under oath), including Frankie Andreu's wife. At least 4.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Now reports that Hincapie testified that Lance doped.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=6571826

Is is true that Hincapie asserts this, then it is game, set, match.

Come clean, Lance.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think we can now almost safely assert what I had before supposed:

Lance Armstrong is the greatest fraud ever perpetrated in the history of sport.

I'm trying to imagine if there is any scenario where Lance finally confesses and says, "I'm sorry. I lied." He has so much built up around this fraud that it's hard to imagine him risking it (though by not confessing he incurs risk as well). The greatest cyclist outside of Eddie Mercx. His self-image as a leader in the fight against cancer. His political aspirations. He desire to be attractive to younger female celebrities and score tail.

Is this enough to justify continued perpetration of a lie?

Many of us were willing to overlook the fact that Lance is/was a prick of the highest order. He treated many around him like shit. Including the mother of his children, despite the fact he grew up without a father. He was petty, he held grudges. But we were willing to overlook all of that. We chalked it up to his competitiveness. The same drive that made him the best cyclist also made him an asshole. He would not be unique in that. Look at Michael Jordan.

Now I know that some of you Armstrong apologists are going to say that he was still the best cyclist, and because everyone was cheating, it was an even playing field.

Except that all of his contemporary adversaries have been busted for cheating and have been kicked out of the sport and shamed.

Shouldn't some shame fall on Armstrong as well? Should his contemporaries be derided as cheats, while Armstrong is not?

Maybe history will look back and give a blank check to all these cheaters and say "that was the era." That's fine. But that's for history to decide. Right now, some amount of consistency and fairness should be the order of the day. If Lance cheated, then he cheated. And it should be made crystal clear.

Imperfect people can still fight cancer. Imperfect people (duh) can run for political office. Imperfect people can still promote things that are important to them.

This fairy tale, sadly, appears to be exactly that--a fairy tale. Millions of dollars, drugs, sex--it's the same story we have heard many times. It's about time we stop putting assholes like Lance on the top pedestal and start looking to different kinds of heroes.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

You seem all too pleased to dismantle anything and everything.

Assuming he cheated, he did so less enough to pass all testings and he appeared to do so during offseason workouts, not during competitions. But I see no reason for the glee you display. It is still a magnificent sport, and Lance was consistently good.

I see nothing gained by this witch hunt. No joy in your joy of being right in that we should doubt all and be cynical of every athlete.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I watched the 60 minutes report last night, and it was even more damning that I imagined. Not only does it appear that Lance will go down, but that the very highest officials in sport could be implicated as well.

Lance need not only worry about his reputation--he could be on his way to prison.

I've been trying to get an overall sense to what the sporting public's reaction to all of this is. I think that the reaction has been tepid. Maybe because of weariness. A retired athlete in a sport that no one cares about cheated his way to the top.

Lance will play this all the way to the end, hoping for a "not guilty" verdict, and then proclaiming that the entire thing was a witch hunt against an innocent man who wants to do nothing but fight cancer.

The only shocking thing that could happen at this point would be if Lance confessed and started cooperating with the authorities.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Archaea

It is meaningless and worthless but what can you expect from Nowitzski. He's just a hack with government power.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Mitch Albom: Lance probably doped, but no one cares.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=657...goryid=2378529
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mitch Albom: Lance probably doped, but no one cares.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=657...goryid=2378529
He obviously played by rules sufficiently enough to test negative all those years. So it says something about how much he participated. He must have monitored his blood during training to drop it once competition started.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He obviously played by rules sufficiently enough to test negative all those years. So it says something about how much he participated. He must have monitored his blood during training to drop it once competition started.
As did hundreds of others.

That Lance never got caught doesn't make him in anyway unusual or less guilty.

Marion Jones was also never caught and used the same explanation as Lance: never had a positive test.

She went to prison.

All the other cyclists who were busted--they competed and cheated many years without being caught.

And now in fact, there is strong evidence that Lance was in fact caught, but that the positive test was made to go away. Including evidence that Lance and Bruyneel met with the lab director (highly unusual). It might be this very situation that lands Lance Armstrong in prison.

In seeing a few cyclists busted here and there, we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.