cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Big 12 v Big 12 in BCS title game?

Probably not (I think Florida will play after beating Alabama by 20 or more), but it is possible.

Alabama has Florida left, and I feel very confident Florida will trounce them. Florida has South Carolina, the Citadel and Florida State left. None of those teams (especially the Citadel) are as good as Flordia, but FSU or SC could get an upset on a good day.

Let's assume from here on out that Alabama loses (likely, IMO) and Florida drops 1 too (unlikely, IMO). The BCS rankings have TT, Texas and OU in the top 5. USC is now 6. TT will likely lose to OU, which should push OU up to 2, maybe 3. If TT wins, they obviously go to 1 in the BCS. In either scenario, the Big 12 should have teams ranked 1-2 in the BCS. Would the voters push USC up to avoid a Big 12-Big 12 game? Would the SEC champion be pushed up, even if they had a recent loss (like Florida v South Carolina, for example)?

I can't think the BCS would be thrilled with 2 teams from the same conference duking it out. And how would the 3rd 1 loss Big 12 team feel being excluded? They would have a win against either 1 or 2 in the BCS and a loss to #1 or 2 in the BCS. On what rational basis are they excluded? Plus, then you necessarily have 1 team playing for the BCS title who didn't win their conference. Is that a problem? The Big 12 is the best conference in football right now, so maybe it isn't (given that it is actually a real possibility that the 2 best teams in the BCS are in the Big 12).

I am cheering for whatever makes the most people the angriest. So I am also hoping that OSU wins the Pac 10, the ACC and Big East champ are unranked, and MSU wins the Big 10 (I don't know how their tiebreaker works, so this may not be possible). In short, a total BCS disaster.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

And in other shocking news, Obama wants to break up the elitist BCS fraternity. What will happen to the lives of the non-alums who have vicariously latched themselves onto those elisist programs? Stay tuned. Sounds like a bad ABC Afterschool Special, hopefully starring Helen Hunt.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am cheering for whatever makes the most people the angriest. So I am also hoping that OSU wins the Pac 10, the ACC and Big East champ are unranked, and MSU wins the Big 10 (I don't know how their tiebreaker works, so this may not be possible). In short, a total BCS disaster.
Amen and amen.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Amen and amen.
It won't happen but it would be hilarious to have BYU, Utah and Boise State remain in the top 12 with those other eventualities occurring.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It won't happen but it would be hilarious to have BYU, Utah and Boise State remain in the top 12 with those other eventualities occurring.
lol! Yeah, it would be fun. It won't happen, but it would be great. BSU may win out, but if BYU beats Utah, they may still not make it into the top 12 and Utah will fall out. If Utah wins, they stay and BYU doesn't sniff the top 12. Ball State, however, could keep on rising! BSU and Ball State? Hilarious. I hate the BCS.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
lol! Yeah, it would be fun. It won't happen, but it would be great. BSU may win out, but if BYU beats Utah, they may still not make it into the top 12 and Utah will fall out. If Utah wins, they stay and BYU doesn't sniff the top 12. Ball State, however, could keep on rising! BSU and Ball State? Hilarious. I hate the BCS.
My fantasy scenario would be BYU to jump BSU by defeating Utah but Utah hanging on to stay in top 12. While the BCS teams continue to annihilate one another. Anything that makes the current system look like a sham is pure entertainment.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebo.../onthemark1110
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Quote:
The Razorbacks, sitting at the bottom of the SEC West, are probably good enough to beat Ball State, Boise State and Utah, too.
Classy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Classy.
Yes. There is no way a MWC bottom feeder can beat a lower-end SEC team, on the road, in a place like Knoxville for example. Given this fact, no, Utah cannot beat Arkansas.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Classy.
Signed,

Tennessee