cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not suggesting we start a detailed discussion on the temple ceremony, but fusnik brings up an interesting point. This whole "do not discuss" and sacred/secret nature of the thing makes the temple ceremony a very unique part of our religion. We analyze and dissect every issue of scripture, history, etc, but there is no discussion, no academic articles, no ensign articles, no priesthood/SS lessons etc. covering the real heart of the ceremony which is promoted as the pinnacle form of our worship. Sure you can discuss it in the temple, but given the nature of modern temple worship, opportunities for discussion inside the temple are almost non-existent. We promote it, we do it, then we go home and avoid talking about it. You have to admit that this is kind of bizarre.
No one has to admit it's bizarre. And who says that you have to go home and avoid talking about it? I don't think anyone here has said that, but yet understands the reverance regarding what goes on inside. It's not a subject to be tread on or around lightly. Fus is a special case as I'm sure he'd blab to anyone who'd be more than willing to listen to his bizarre take on things. If you want use that word bizarre then might I suggest it be used in it's proper context,,,like keeping it applicable on someone that's deserving of it and has earned it time and again, and has deliberately tried to get people to view him that way, like he has. Used then, it's certainly appropriate given his context and history.

Things that we hold dear to us, that are very private and held with discretion and respect aren't things typically blabbed out about in public, but rather with those closest to you, or with those you respect, trust and admire.

Exactly why is that bizarre?

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-02-2008 at 04:52 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

My take on Leb's comment...

First, I dont think he was being flip. It is a fair point that he and fus raise. Since nobody knew the direction in which fus was headed, most of us, including myself, jumped in and told him to basically knock it off. In reality, he was asking a fairly benign question.

I disagree that it is strange for us to refrain from discussion or analytics in journals, magazines, Sunday School lessons, etc. Those are informal venues that contain no intimacy of spirit. The fact that apostates have leaked information online is not persuasive to me. It isnt enough to simply give up and say, "well....it's out there now....might as well show it to the world..."

I do think it would be somewhat strange for a husband and wife to not discuss certain aspects of the total experience, especially within the walls of the home. After all, we believe that ONLY the home can compare to the temple in terms of sacredness. While the temple is the only venue in which we can perform certain ordinances, the home can still be a sacred sanctuary in which we discuss them with the appropriate parties....namely, spouse (maybe older children when the time is right?).

I am not suggesting that once you get home, it is time to re-enact the ceremony from start to finish, but I know that my wife and I have shared our thoughts, observations, questions, etc while at home. Perhaps we should not be doing this, but I feel fine with it. Maybe it is a personal preference.

Basically, I have always thought that one of the benefits of keeping temple discussions contained to sacred places (home and temple) is that it motivates us to go there and discuss, ask questions, etc.. Going to the temple and partaking is a privilege, not a right (although it is a privilege that can be earned by all). One of the blessings of being worthy of such a privilege is the ability to "talk a Godly talk," or, in other words, discuss openly the mysteries of the kingdom.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #23
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Why not discuss it in the temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My take on Leb's comment...

First, I dont think he was being flip. It is a fair point that he and fus raise. Since nobody knew the direction in which fus was headed, most of us, including myself, jumped in and told him to basically knock it off. In reality, he was asking a fairly benign question.

I disagree that it is strange for us to refrain from discussion or analytics in journals, magazines, Sunday School lessons, etc. Those are informal venues that contain no intimacy of spirit. The fact that apostates have leaked information online is not persuasive to me. It isnt enough to simply give up and say, "well....it's out there now....might as well show it to the world..."

I do think it would be somewhat strange for a husband and wife to not discuss certain aspects of the total experience, especially within the walls of the home. After all, we believe that ONLY the home can compare to the temple in terms of sacredness. While the temple is the only venue in which we can perform certain ordinances, the home can still be a sacred sanctuary in which we discuss them with the appropriate parties....namely, spouse (maybe older children when the time is right?).

I am not suggesting that once you get home, it is time to re-enact the ceremony from start to finish, but I know that my wife and I have shared our thoughts, observations, questions, etc while at home. Perhaps we should not be doing this, but I feel fine with it. Maybe it is a personal preference.

Basically, I have always thought that one of the benefits of keeping temple discussions contained to sacred places (home and temple) is that it motivates us to go there and discuss, ask questions, etc.. Going to the temple and partaking is a privilege, not a right (although it is a privilege that can be earned by all). One of the blessings of being worthy of such a privilege is the ability to "talk a Godly talk," or, in other words, discuss openly the mysteries of the kingdom.
rather than in the 'world'?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote