cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A&M fires Sherman

Espn says they are going after Sumlin. I think they should consider Whittingham. But they are honestly not smart enough to do something like that. They are destined for failure.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If you wonder about the wisdom of decision-making at Texas A&M, just know this: A&M is run by Rick Perry's henchmen.

The former and current chancellor were both yes-men for Perry. The former president was fired for standing up to the board that was entirely populated by Perry cronies, and a bow-tied yes-man was installed in her place.

All these people are combining to ruin Texas A&M. Karma is a bitch.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I could see Sumlin, Strong and Peterson turning the Aggies down. That is not a very stable job; it's second or third place in Texas behind UT and OU.

It will be in a very competitive conference, so I don't see why anybody would take that job, except for a coach with Aggie ties, or somebody under the radar.

You need a tough-minded coach in Whit to take that job.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A&M gave Sherman a contract extension to sign, which Sherman signed. But the A&M president Loftin never signed it and is now claiming that as such it never went into effect, and they are refusing payment.

Also, the A&M AD Byrne fired Sherman over the phone as he was in the driveway of a recruit, after Sherman's friends and family were already aware of the firing.

In other words, A&M made sure that Sherman was the last to know, and the message was real clear that he is out in the most disgraceful fashion possible.

I think a lot of coaches ought to look real close at how A&M treats their own before making a decision to hitch their wagon to that school.

And this is why they are going to get a WTF hire.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Viking

Viking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A&M gave Sherman a contract extension to sign, which Sherman signed. But the A&M president Loftin never signed it and is now claiming that as such it never went into effect, and they are refusing payment.

Also, the A&M AD Byrne fired Sherman over the phone as he was in the driveway of a recruit, after Sherman's friends and family were already aware of the firing.

In other words, A&M made sure that Sherman was the last to know, and the message was real clear that he is out in the most disgraceful fashion possible.

I think a lot of coaches ought to look real close at how A&M treats their own before making a decision to hitch their wagon to that school.

And this is why they are going to get a WTF hire.
Aggie has no mind, that's why he's Aggie.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Fired Sherman, and hired Shermlin.

The fan honeymoon with Kevin Sumlin has to be one of the rockiest I have ever seen. One could argue that there is no honeymoon at all.

Aggies complain that their coaches are hired through good ol' boy backroom deals. While it seems unlikely that a black coach would fit that scenario, that's apparently exactly what happened.

1. A member of the board of trustees is friends with Sumlin and pushed him from the moment that Sherman was fired. In fact, some are saying that is why Sherman was fired.
2. Because the criticism last go-around that a nationwide search was never conducted, this time they took their time before pulling the trigger on Sumlin. Including, apparently going after Mark Richt at Georgia. Predictably he said no thanks.
3. Sumlin aka Shermlin (the Aggies already have derogatory nicknames for him) was previously a coordinator at A&M under Slocum, thus qualifying under the requirement that a new coach "get" A&M, i.e. understand the very unique culture and have an appreciation for it.

What remains to be seen is how much of a leash that Sumlin is given. I think everybody expects the Aggies to really struggle next year, losing their senior QB and losing many key defenders from a mediocre (generous assessment) defense. Not to mention being in the toughest division in the country. How many Fran/Sherman-esque season results will go by, before the delusions of grandeur come back and the Aggies once again fire their coach?

I don't think the A&M job is very attractive at all, given the nature of the fan base, the way they fired Sherman after he made a ton of improvements to the program and recruited well. That tells me that Sumlin is an ambitious confident man. Either that or he is just banking on a large 4-5 year payday, and who cares about the results.

We shall see. A lot of like Utah in the PAC, I expect A&M to largely "disappear" into the SEC.