cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I support heavy sanctions against Penn State

and consider the argument "what about the innocent players, coaches, fans, and businesses" to be the most ridiculous hypocrisy ever.

Where were these people when all the other NCAA sanctions came down?

Suddenly it's all about the "innocents." Bullshit. The kids that were abused--those were the innocents.

And the institution that conspired to cover up must pay the price.

I feel sorry for the good and decent Penn State fans, however many there are, that are being embarrassed by the despicable worthless Penn State fans that continue to defend the criminal enterprise that was Joe Paterno Inc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and consider the argument "what about the innocent players, coaches, fans, and businesses" to be the most ridiculous hypocrisy ever.

Where were these people when all the other NCAA sanctions came down?

Suddenly it's all about the "innocents." Bullshit. The kids that were abused--those were the innocents.

And the institution that conspired to cover up must pay the price.

I feel sorry for the good and decent Penn State fans, however many there are, that are being embarrassed by the despicable worthless Penn State fans that continue to defend the criminal enterprise that was Joe Paterno Inc.
The penalties seemed mild, no death penalty, only one year's worth of revenue and mild sanctions for the next five years. It looks like window dressing.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I certainly don't believe these are egregiously severe penalties. But they are certainly not trivial penalties.

Penn State will play all their regular games, and may even have winning records.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
I certainly don't believe these are egregiously severe penalties. But they are certainly not trivial penalties.

Penn State will play all their regular games, and may even have winning records.
They are trivial in light of the crimes committed. If this had been USC, it would have been the death penalty. Or somebody otherwise disfavored. It sent the wrong signal. Once again, as always, the NCAA failed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I would not have batted an eye if they had given Penn State the death penalty.

Who in their right minds would want to attend one of their games? Yeah that's right, a lot of the despicable Penn State fans whose rabid unquestioning support led to a kind of culture where this could happen.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I would not have batted an eye if they had given Penn State the death penalty.

Who in their right minds would want to attend one of their games? Yeah that's right, a lot of the despicable Penn State fans whose rabid unquestioning support led to a kind of culture where this could happen.
The NCAA is gutless as usual. The effort was mindless, mere window dressing.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I suspect the opposite. The NCAA is allowing current players to transfer schools without the normal redshirt penalty. Star commits have already been contacted by the likes of Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin. Potential high school recruits and JC transfers know that they will never be able to play for the postseason, the Rose Bowl, or a conference title. TV exposure is reduced and attendance will be lower. All this with a first-year head coach, and suddenly Ohio and Temple look like the only winnable games on their schedule.

The loss of scholarships is the big one. For four years, they will be only one or two key injuries from really going in the tank.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I suspect the opposite. The NCAA is allowing current players to transfer schools without the normal redshirt penalty. Star commits have already been contacted by the likes of Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin. Potential high school recruits and JC transfers know that they will never be able to play for the postseason, the Rose Bowl, or a conference title. TV exposure is reduced and attendance will be lower. All this with a first-year head coach, and suddenly Ohio and Temple look like the only winnable games on their schedule.

The loss of scholarships is the big one. For four years, they will be only one or two key injuries from really going in the tank.
They can't tank enough. I would like an O'fer season. It won't happen as there's too much talent there.