cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #111
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Fine. You're welcome to your opinion. My message to those who think like you is, "Don't accuse those who think differently of dishonesty."

I think you folks are getting too caught up in my last sentence. There are more approaches to Mormon history than two ... I just meant that when push comes to shove, I'm going to side with apostles over apostates. Some make a different choice.
What if there different approaches among apostles. The bureaucratic approach of the fundamentalist or the more realistic approach of Arrington and Church liberals? I don't really see it as an approach between apostates and apostles. I don't regard Quinn who is still believing and has been excommunicated for unknown reasons, as apostate.

You're casting a war, which doesn't exist.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #112
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never read Krakauer's book so I can't speak to what's honest or dishonest about it. But there isn't a historian or journalist in the world who doesn't order their reporting of the facts according to what they think is most significant.

If relating history were so clear cut, we wouldn't have a thousand biographies of Abraham Lincoln. We'd have one.
There's a difference between facts and interpretation - which your thoughts on "truth" were getting at. Facts are (generally) easy enough to establish. Nobody argues what year Lincoln was born or where he went to high school or what color his eyes were. Lots of people,though, argue about his intentions, plans, and effects.

IMO, Packer wants to suppress facts - a tough position to justify - because he claims that "Some things that are true are not very useful."
Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #113
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm suggesting that Krakauer purposely discarded information that would have conflicted with his conclusion that Mormons are prone to religion-inspired violence, regarding the Laffertys.
There's a fine line between ordering facts according to perceived significance and manipulating facts for an agenda. To the extent Krakauer did the latter, shame on him, but that's not what I or Packer (IMO) advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What if there different approaches among apostles. The bureaucratic approach of the fundamentalist or the more realistic approach of Arrington and Church liberals? I don't really see it as an approach between apostates and apostles. I don't regard Quinn who is still believing and has been excommunicated for unknown reasons, as apostate.

You're casting a war, which doesn't exist.
I am not the one casting a war, but these folks are no longer members for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
There's a difference between facts and interpretation - which your thoughts on "truth" were getting at. Facts are (generally) easy enough to establish. Nobody argues what year Lincoln was born or where he went to high school or what color his eyes were. Lots of people,though, argue about his intentions, plans, and effects.

IMO, Packer wants to suppress facts - a tough position to justify - because he claims that "Some things that are true are not very useful."
Again, a specious argument. No one debates the date the church was restored either. Instead it revolves around far more subjective views such as "an article maintaining that Joseph Smith treated Mormon women more equally than the church does today."

And "suppress" is too strong a word, but I guess it's better than those who say he advocated lying.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #114
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Again, a specious argument.
Congratulations on learning how to spell "specious." You know, dictionaries can tell you not just how to spell a word, but what it means, too.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #115
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Congratulations on learning how to spell "specious." You know, dictionaries can tell you not just how to spell a word, but what it means, too.
specious: apparently good or right though lacking real merit; superficially pleasing or plausible:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/specious

Eminently applicable.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #116
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

It's not specious, at least in my opinion, but I'm glad we're in agreement.

Let me turn the question around.

Quote:
They [professors] would [prefer] that some historians who are Latter-day Saints write history as they were taught in graduate school, rather than as Mormons.
Is there any other profession - legal profession, mind you - in which someone from LDS leadership could call a person's salvation into question based on that person's legitimate practice of that profession? There might be, but I don't know.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #117
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Is there any other profession - legal profession, mind you - in which someone from LDS leadership could call a person's salvation into question based on that person's legitimate practice of that profession? There might be, but I don't know.
call girl
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #118
Tex

Quote:

That's not really a fair question, Solon. How many professions have the potential for producing such a conflict in the first place? Abortion clinic doctor? Beer company marketing executive? As a software developer, I can tell you I don't deal much in Mormon theology.

Perhaps the reason LDS historians are so strongly cautioned is because they enjoy a very unique relationship with the church that few others can.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #119
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There's a fine line between ordering facts according to perceived significance and manipulating facts for an agenda. To the extent Krakauer did the latter, shame on him, but that's not what I or Packer (IMO) advocate.
Trying to strengthen the testimony of members through your so-called selective history is not an agenda?

Don't bother replying. I know what dance you will do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #120
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Excellent point Solon. If you want to be a historian of Mormonism, and you are a member of the church and you have integrity, watch out.

Ask Juanita Brooks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote