cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
The right thing to do in a case like this is to say, "I'm sorry, I think my posts got out of line. I'll try to do better in the future." That is how you build civility and improve the quality and tone of the board. The wrong thing to do is to wipe out someone else's thread for getting a bit out of hand when you yourself are the one who is soley responsible for that.

Bring back the thread.
I agree.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to get the thread back, and have been discussing the possibility with Archaea in private. He made a few points as to why he didn't want to bring it back. Some of those points deal with public opinion of the thread, so I am going to take my appeal public, so that the public might consider the case.

Archaea doesn't think the thread was interesting enough to merit coming back.

But how often is the faculty advisor of a GSA club in the hardest school in South Central LA going to post about her experience here? IMO that is INTERESTING.

NonSequiter had some funny ironic quips. INTERESTING.

Archaea's own comments, laced with obscenity and his unique dark view of life was at the very least INTERESTING.

More importantly, the thread was more than INTERESTING. It was valuable.

It was valuable as the fledgling effort of a Jr. member, Faith, butting heads for the first time with one of the old local rams, and coming out (imo) on top. That freshman effort is now gone.

It was valuable as some interesting views of religion, Christianity and belief were coming out of the conversation. That was valuable AND interesting.

I, for one, would like to encourage Faith to be a regular here. Having her first real effort deleted because she got the best of a Mod in 1-on-1 makes it kind of hard to encourage her to participate.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Robin,

You crack me up. It always appears to be you against the world.

I am voting for the "let's leave it deleted".

And this is coming from someone with 2 gay uncles.

I just am not interested. And I think most of the folks that haven't posted are in agreement.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
Robin,

I just am not interested. And I think most of the folks that haven't posted are in agreement.
My own contributions to the thread were almost nil. I was glad to see Faith contributing to the board and would like to see her do so more often. She wrote some nice things on that thread, and I think it is a shame that they are gone because Archaea entered the thread, acted like a 'pitbull,' and then decided to clean things up by deleting other people's posts.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #15
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
Robin,

I'm interested in the thread, but that was probably already made clear by my previous comment.

I will say this, though--Robin, in making your case for the return of the thread, you could have done without the obvious digs at Arch about 'losing' an argument. In good dialogue, nobody wins or loses, and the potential is there for people to enrich, modify, adjust, or further cement their own views. In my opinion, and this is just a minor quibble, as soon as you made it about winning or losing, the thread in my mind was cheapened, as was the attempt to bring it back.

Last edited by OhioBlue; 08-15-2006 at 08:46 PM.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #16
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
I'm interested in the thread, but that was probably already made clear by my previous comment.

I will say this, though--Robin, in making your case for the return of the thread, you could have done without the obvious digs at Arch about 'losing' an argument. In good dialogue, nobody wins or loses, and the potential is there for people to enrich, modify, adjust, or further cement their own views. In my opinion, and this is just a minor quibble, as soon as you made it about winning or losing the thread in my mind was cheapened, as was the attempt to bring it back.
You know the old saying about evoking Hitler in an argument? Archaea was swearing up a storm, and in similar fashion to the Hitler argument, I think I can pretty clearly say that REGARDLESS who WON the argument (that is still up for debate) IN MY OPINION, Faith came out ON TOP.

Who knows? Maybe Archea's swear-laden posts were the winning arguments. I'm talking about something different.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I don't get to use the moderator panel very often, so once in a while I want to use the options.

Mike cajoled me because I was behaving like a pitbull, a nickname some of my friends have given me, instead of a poodle.

So in order to render this place more like a poodle's pad, I deleted what had become a very pedantic posting thread.

We apparently have some thin-skinned persons, whose opinions need respect.
Let's not delete threads. That's the first time I've been aware that it has happened on this board. Cougarboard's practice of deleting posts and censorship is its most disgusting characteristic, IMHO. If this board starts deleting posts, I think I'm outta here.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #18
Robin

Archaea said he will bring the thread back. Thank you Arch, I think you made a great choice.

Cheers,

R.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #19
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know the old saying about evoking Hitler in an argument? Archaea was swearing up a storm, and in similar fashion to the Hitler argument, I think I can pretty clearly say that REGARDLESS who WON the argument (that is still up for debate) IN MY OPINION, Faith came out ON TOP.

Who knows? Maybe Archea's swear-laden posts were the winning arguments. I'm talking about something different.
I think you missed my point, or I stated it inadequately.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Archaea said he will bring the thread back. Thank you Arch, I think you made a great choice.

Cheers,

R.
I didn't say I would revive the thread, but that people could restate what they wish. I doubt I will participate in the reinventing of the thread.

It wasn't that great of a thread.