cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is it ok (i.e. not a sin) for a missionary to masturbate on his/her mission?
yes it is ok 12 27.91%
no, it is not ok 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #51
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If my son is called to the ALRM, I won't let him go.
No kidding.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #52
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No kidding.
Talk about Satanic verses.

They will change your mission call. In my wife's California ward, one of the physicians had a son with a call stateside. Well he didn't think that was befitting his son, so he called SLC and got it changed to serve in Japan.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #53
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Talk about Satanic verses.

They will change your mission call. In my wife's California ward, one of the physicians had a son with a call stateside. Well he didn't think that was befitting his son, so he called SLC and got it changed to serve in Japan.
My uncle was called to serve in England, and my grandma wanted him to go foreign speaking, so she convinced her bro-in-law (one of the prophets) to change the call to Italy. His response was: "it's no big deal. it's mostly a computerized process nowadays anyway." This was a very long time ago.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 06-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #54
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
His response was: "it's no big deal. it's mostly a computerized process nowadays anyway." This was a very long time ago.
I have friends in SLC who work in the church office building, who say the same thing. They look at the missionary's availability date, and which missions have openings that week, and the computer does the rest.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #55
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I have friends in SLC who work in the church office building, who say the same thing. They look at the missionary's availability date, and which missions have openings that week, and the computer does the rest.
I wonder when the change was implemented, because I can still remember the Monson talk about Kimball sending the lad to South Africa. As an aside, with the complexities of filling missions, I can't see a problem with computerization in filling missions.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #56
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The AP's in my mission used the same process when determining transfers. They looked at who was up for transfer and sort of randomly shuffled them around, and handed the suggested list to President.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #57
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
That's not what I hear. I have some friends who got a detailed description of the whole process from Elder Eyring a couple of years ago. An apostle goes in to assist (Elder Eyring had this assignment for quite a while) once a week for an entire day. Yes, things are computerized, but the apostle reviews the entire process and the entire list of calls using a set of computer screens and can and does make changes.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #58
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's not what I hear. I have some friends who got a detailed description of the whole process from Elder Eyring a couple of years ago. An apostle goes in to assist (Elder Eyring had this assignment for quite a while) once a week for an entire day. Yes, things are computerized, but the apostle reviews the entire process and the entire list of calls using a set of computer screens and can and does make changes.
I was probably one of the guys who got his call changed. I'm guessing I was supposed to go to Tahiti originally, but some meddling apostle was inspired that I was going to end as an apostate anyway, so he switched me to freaking Ecuador. Didn't SU also serve in Ecuador?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #59
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
... so he switched me to freaking Ecuador. Didn't SU also serve in Ecuador?
Yes, he did. You may be on to something.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #60
Archaea

Quote:
Yes, he did. You may be on to something.
My roommate who apostasized also served in Ecuador. Hmm, an apostate's paradise, was it?