cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Curtis Brown is Under-rated

Brown will likely finish up as BYU's leading rusher. While he isn't as explosive as Luke Staley I would put CB as one of the top 3 backs to play at BYU. He is a stud. A hard worker and a great kid.

I was won over, however, not by his performance on the field. In 2003, after playing a few games as a freshman in 2002, he redshirted due to a minor injury in his wrist. He also said that he wanted to get better to be the best player he could be for 2004 when he came back. He took it to heart. CB was one of the guys who kept going, who pushed the defense and made them better in 2003. He never quit. After practice one day, where the defense was a little arrogant and threw CB around more than they should have (and yes, he didn't back down, didn't mouth off, just kept playing hard) I went up to him and gave him props for his hard work and told him how impressed I was with him and how he didn't give up. He responded with a comment like "Well, I'm not playing this year, but if I go hard every day in practice I can do my part to help make the defense better."

The way he worked in practice, and with that attitude, I knew CB would be a good running back at BYU. He fights for extra yardage. He is a solid receiver (sadly, his biggest drop will likely be more remembered than any catch he's had so far) and he doesn't fumble. Sure he's been a guy who has shot his mouth a time or two, but he is also the type who does everything he can to back it up. And the fact that he does get under the Utes' skin a little makes him all that much more appealing to me. CB is a player that I'll remember for his positive attitude and I can't think of a better reward for a guy who had to put up with so many tough seasons than to end it as BYU's all-time leading rusher.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

the biggest compliment i heard about Curtis was on cougarboard there was a post to utefans about if they could take one player from BYU for this upcoming season, it was pretty unanimous that Curtis would be there guy.

On the flip side if any BYU fan does not say Eric Weddle they are smoking copious amounts of drugs.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Brown is a terrific RB. I'd love to have him in the Utes backfield.

Have there been any Cougar fans who have said that they wouldn't want Weddle in blue? If so, I'd say they are Ute haters, not BYU fans - just as anyone who wouldn't want Brown in red are BYU haters and not Ute fans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Brown is a terrific RB. I'd love to have him in the Utes backfield.

Have there been any Cougar fans who have said that they wouldn't want Weddle in blue? If so, I'd say they are Ute haters, not BYU fans - just as anyone who wouldn't want Brown in red are BYU haters and not Ute fans.
I can agree with that.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

i'd take abs-man in blue any day.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug
i'd take abs-man in blue any day.
As long as the commercials stay at the U, definitely.

Being in advertising, yes, those ads are TERRIBLE. Not much consumer insight in there, I don't believe.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Brown will likely finish up as BYU's leading rusher. While he isn't as explosive as Luke Staley I would put CB as one of the top 3 backs to play at BYU. He is a stud. A hard worker and a great kid.

I was won over, however, not by his performance on the field. In 2003, after playing a few games as a freshman in 2002, he redshirted due to a minor injury in his wrist. He also said that he wanted to get better to be the best player he could be for 2004 when he came back. He took it to heart. CB was one of the guys who kept going, who pushed the defense and made them better in 2003. He never quit. After practice one day, where the defense was a little arrogant and threw CB around more than they should have (and yes, he didn't back down, didn't mouth off, just kept playing hard) I went up to him and gave him props for his hard work and told him how impressed I was with him and how he didn't give up. He responded with a comment like "Well, I'm not playing this year, but if I go hard every day in practice I can do my part to help make the defense better."

The way he worked in practice, and with that attitude, I knew CB would be a good running back at BYU. He fights for extra yardage. He is a solid receiver (sadly, his biggest drop will likely be more remembered than any catch he's had so far) and he doesn't fumble. Sure he's been a guy who has shot his mouth a time or two, but he is also the type who does everything he can to back it up. And the fact that he does get under the Utes' skin a little makes him all that much more appealing to me. CB is a player that I'll remember for his positive attitude and I can't think of a better reward for a guy who had to put up with so many tough seasons than to end it as BYU's all-time leading rusher.
Curtis is a very interesting back. He's not fast. He's not big. He doesn't seem to have a lot of moves, juking people. But for some reason he just gets results.

I think some fans, and I'm probably guilty of this, see his speed and size and what not and assume that the OL is responsible for his yardage.

I'm a big CB fan, and I'm glad we have him one more year. He should have a monster season.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Curtis is a very interesting back. He's not fast. He's not big. He doesn't seem to have a lot of moves, juking people. But for some reason he just gets results.

I think some fans, and I'm probably guilty of this, see his speed and size and what not and assume that the OL is responsible for his yardage.

I'm a big CB fan, and I'm glad we have him one more year. He should have a monster season.
There are two things that I like to look for that a lot of people don't typically see/look for when evaluating a RB that are impressive to me about CB.

1) Leg Drive. If you watch how when initial contact is made, great backs keep their legs driving no matter what, until they go down. CB does this very well.

and

2) Falling after contact. If you're a good back, you'll find a way to fall forward, to give out a blow instead of just taking it. It seems that when CB gets hit, he doesn't usually fall backwards, he falls forward.

CB isn't a typical back. He's not the fastest. He's not the biggest. But where CB does excell is in his heart, desire and work ethic. RB is a spot where having those traits are every bit as valuable as having breakaway speed or "joystick" like moves (as in moves that you only see in a video game). CB does what is asked of him, and does it well. Fui has a lot of potential, but I still think that we've been spoiled with him and will certainly miss him when he's gone.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
As long as the commercials stay at the U, definitely.

Being in advertising, yes, those ads are TERRIBLE. Not much consumer insight in there, I don't believe.
I'm not sure what the marketing dept. was thinking on that. One thing I liked so much about Meyer was that he involved himself in selling the team to the community...his "some commuter school" adds were great...they need to get some new blood in there or something.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

If ever the brethren wanted to eliminate athletics from BYU's agenda, and I have to argue the case for BYU athletics in front of the Board of Trustees, Curtis Brown would be my star witness.

Look at what BYU athletics has done for him. At the very least, it introduced him to the church, and he was recently baptized. It has also developed his character, as many associated with him have attested. At the same time, look at what HE has done for BYU athletics, and the church as a whole. He is somebody I am proud to be associated with, both as a BYU fan and as a member of the church.

None of that happens without BYU football. And his is not the only story told of the positive effect BYU sports has had. You can't convince me that BYU sports does not play an important role in the mission of the University and of the Church.