cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just received a new church calling

Shockingly enough, I was not put in the bishopric though I campaigned long and hard. I was just named First Counselor in the Elders Quorum. Its too bad because I understand that the 2nd Counselor does even less. The new president is a good guy and I think we will work together. Here is the one thing that I want to have happen and will help define my legacy as a 1st counselor:

Home Teaching Numbers--Every companionship is given our email address. We will count them as 100% UNLESS they email me and say otherwise. Instead of the presidency calling them every week, only to have calls not returned, etc., they are expected to email us only if they did not do their visits. Otherwise, they are counted as 100%.

If any of you have any other suggestions on how to make me awesome in this calling, please let me know.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been liked enough or trusted enough to be in an EQP thank goodness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Shockingly enough, I was not put in the bishopric though I campaigned long and hard. I was just named First Counselor in the Elders Quorum. Its too bad because I understand that the 2nd Counselor does even less. The new president is a good guy and I think we will work together. Here is the one thing that I want to have happen and will help define my legacy as a 1st counselor:

Home Teaching Numbers--Every companionship is given our email address. We will count them as 100% UNLESS they email me and say otherwise. Instead of the presidency calling them every week, only to have calls not returned, etc., they are expected to email us only if they did not do their visits. Otherwise, they are counted as 100%.

If any of you have any other suggestions on how to make me awesome in this calling, please let me know.
those home teaching numbers are going to go through the roof.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
those home teaching numbers are going to go through the roof.

No kidding. You will be a GA before you know it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No kidding. You will be a GA before you know it.

That is what I am talking about. My conscience is clear. If the elders in the quorum aren't willing to take some accountability and email me if they don't do it, it is on their head. And yes, our home teaching numbers are going to rock.

If I get shot down on that, I want to implement a policy of the 5-minute rule. If you talk to the head of household for at least 5 minutes during the month and it includes some general interest in how they are doing...then that counts as a visit. Seriously, I am about to become a legend in this ward.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with that. All it is going to take is the EQ explaining how Widow Smith, who says she hasn't been visited for months, is marked as "visited" in the records for each of those months, in Ward Council.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good luck with that. All it is going to take is the EQ explaining how Widow Smith, who says she hasn't been visited for months, is marked as "visited" in the records for each of those months, in Ward Council.
You prepare the EQ president for that so that when Widow Smith says something like that in ward council, the EQ Pres can firmly respond that she is a liar and that she has been visited but simply may not be able to remember it.

If this falls flat on its face, they can always move me back to Primary or the Nursery.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

This makes it a win-win. If there is no Widow Smith incident, then he looks like a genius. If there is, he is released and, really, what's so bad about that?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Sounds like a great idea IMO, reduces a ton of wasted time/energy spent making calls, leaving voicemails, waiting for call-backs, etc.. Sure the numbers will be inflated, but if you've communicated the new process to every single hometeacher, you're covered.

Rather than assume they did their HTing if they don't email you, why not assume they didn't do their HTing if they don't email you? That would give you more accurate data right?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Rather than assume they did their HTing if they don't email you, why not assume they didn't do their HTing if they don't email you? That would give you more accurate data right?
You have to assume the best. You are judging people to be guilty by saying that they will not have done their home teaching. You are also giving them the responsibility of being honest and correcting that positive assumption if they did not do it. Thus, they are 100% if they don't email you.