cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
As a driver who has also fallen asleep at the wheel once, I agree with your assessment here. I personally doubt the guy does any jail time, and honestly I don't know that jail time really does anything to fix the problem of a driver who falls asleep. "Now you sit in there and remember to never drive tired again."

A good friend of goose and myself is one of the better cyclists I know (just disclosing that he has the same bias we all have) and he has a much different theory about what happened that really hadn't crossed my mind until he brought it up. Basically, he doesn't buy that the officer fell asleep. He says drivers rarely fall asleep on the curvy part of a road because it takes more concentration to navigate. It's the long straightaways that are usually the trouble (this was true in my case) as they take very little alertness to drive if nothing out of the ordinary occurs. He feels that this officer was driving fast through the curves on purpose. Maybe testing out the limits of his car or some sort of thing. Anyway, he thinks the falling asleep at the wheel thing is quite possibly a cop out (pun intended) as the officer knows there is no way to prove he wasn't asleep at the wheel.

I thought about this possibility at the time. As I understand it, however, he crashed into the inside of an outside curve. That is not where you would expect him to lose control if he was speeding. Also, there were no skid marks or even any evidecne he tried to apply brakes, which is instinctive if you are awake, and the dmage to his vehicle does not suggest excessive speed.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I thought about this possibility at the time. As I understand it, however, he crashed into the inside of an outside curve. That is not where you would expect him to lose control if he was speeding. Also, there were no skid marks or even any evidecne he tried to apply brakes, which is instinctive if you are awake, and the dmage to his vehicle does not suggest excessive speed.
Well, that blows that theory all to hell. I guess it's time for me to admit he probably did just fall asleep.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
He feels that this officer was driving fast through the curves on purpose. Maybe testing out the limits of his car or some sort of thing. Anyway, he thinks the falling asleep at the wheel thing is quite possibly a cop out (pun intended) as the officer knows there is no way to prove he wasn't asleep at the wheel.
It could be, but I doubt it . The only thing is, they said that per the GPS unit on board the car, he was not speeding at the time. He may have been hotrodding a little bit, but apparently he wasn't speeding.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote