cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road
Default Sushi places in Utah

So I've tried Sushi YA in Provo, Sushi Express in Sandy, and Happy Sumo in Provo. Happy Sumo was by far the most commercial, but still decent. Sushi YA is far and pretty cheap (decent hand rolls for $5-$6). Anybody have any other places to recommend?
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yamato(?) in Orem. Good price, good sushi
Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Mrs. Funk

Yeah? Whereabouts is it?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
So I've tried Sushi YA in Provo, Sushi Express in Sandy, and Happy Sumo in Provo. Happy Sumo was by far the most commercial, but still decent. Sushi YA is far and pretty cheap (decent hand rolls for $5-$6). Anybody have any other places to recommend?
The wife and I started going to Sushi-ya about six months ago. At the time, the quality was quite good in spite of the non-Japanese (Chinese) chefs. But it has taken a major nose dive in the past two months. The raw fish is now paper thin and they are padding the rolls and the nigiri with absurd amounts of rice to fill you up quickly. It is a damn shame.

There is a place called Azuka near Shopko that has all you can eat for $16, but the quality is not good at all. There are a few OK rolls if you know what to order.

Benihana in SLC has the best all-you-can-eat deal. $26 per person. The chefs are all Japanese; one has worked there for 21 years. Top quality sushi.

If you are ever in Vegas, check out "The Sushi Club" out in Henderson. Archaea goes there every Friday and we are insanely jealous. Excellent quality and variety for only $19 per person.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The wife and I started going to Sushi-ya about six months ago. At the time, the quality was quite good in spite of the non-Japanese (Chinese) chefs. But it has taken a major nose dive in the past two months. The raw fish is now paper thin and they are padding the rolls and the nigiri with absurd amounts of rice to fill you up quickly. It is a damn shame.

There is a place called Azuka near Shopko that has all you can eat for $16, but the quality is not good at all. There are a few OK rolls if you know what to order.

Benihana in SLC has the best all-you-can-eat deal. $26 per person. The chefs are all Japanese; one has worked there for 21 years. Top quality sushi.

If you are ever in Vegas, check out "The Sushi Club" out in Henderson. Archaea goes there every Friday and we are insanely jealous. Excellent quality and variety for only $19 per person.
What in general is good to order? I tried some of the regular rolls at Sushi-Ya and I was very impressed with the spicy tuna roll. I thought the tuna portions were fairly generous.

Sushi Express is excellent. It's a total dive looking place in a strip mall by a gas station. The fish is fresh and the prices are reasonable (no all-you-can-eat, though). I enjoyed the staff, too, which was mostly Japanese as far as I can tell. The original sushi chef is classically trained.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Any place around here you can get healthy portions of sashimi for decent price? I usually just go for tuna and salmon sashimi. I'm relegated to the fact that I can only get the good stuff when I travel to big city and it's on the company tab.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Any place around here you can get healthy portions of sashimi for decent price? I usually just go for tuna and salmon sashimi. I'm relegated to the fact that I can only get the good stuff when I travel to big city and it's on the company tab.
If you are talking about straight up sashimi (no rice), then I don't know. If you count nigiri then up until a month or two ago I would have said Sushi-ya. Now their raw fish is about a millimeter thick. Either that or we just keep going on the wrong nights.

We took our Japanese friends to Sushi-Ya right at the beginning of the poor-quality period. There was a japanese girl waiting the table that night and she told them (in Japanese) "This place really sucks. The sushi is awful. Don't ever go where they don't have a Japanese chef." (Etc.). She didn't know that I speak Japanese, too. It was kind of funny.

The best nigiri for the price (that I know of) is the Benihana sushi bar in SLC. Good variety and big slices.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Mrs. Funk

Do you know why Sushi-Ya suddenly turned south? Change in staff?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Yeah? Whereabouts is it?
A couple blocks north of the University Mall in Orem. On state street.

I haven't been there for quite a while. I wasn't terribly impressed but we have some friends that like it. We need to give it another try.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Do you know why Sushi-Ya suddenly turned south? Change in staff?
No, it is the same people. I suspect that they are just trying to squeeze out more profit. Personally, I would rather they raised the prices and maintained the quality.