cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I snuck in a quick 32 miles this morning before my son's swim meet. Nothing very exciting. Mixed in some sprints and intervals for fun.

The fastest I have gone is 54 or 55 mph, which I've done 3 times. I was pretty edgy when I did it, and once had some speed wobbles. I can't fathom going 62.5 mph, as there is a huge difference between 45 and 55 for me.

Congrats on a good ride Coach. I know what you mean about 3mph. I've had some grades that would have been much faster to walk and felt like if I were going any slower that I would fall over.

A few more of those passes and you'll be ready for the death ride in no time.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

you guys have me questioning my Garmin. Next time I do it I will see what the speed is again. I do know that I ditched a car that turn in behind me at sundance and caught a group of cars and had to slow down so I didn't run into the back of them. I couldn't see these cars when I passed Sundance and caught them about half way down, once I caught them and slowed to their pace, I was in the high 40's.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 06-29-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
you guys have me questioning my Garmin. Next time I do it I will see what the speed is again. I do know that I ditched a car that turn in behind me at sundance and caught a group of cars and had to slow down so I didn't run into the back of them. I couldn't see these cars when I passed Sundance and caught them about half way down, once I caught them and slowed to their pace, I was in the high 40's.
What kind of GPS unit do you have?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I don't question your speed so much as your HR. The sensor must not be staying in touch with your body. About 15 years ago I rode from Rexburg to Jackson, Wy and just outside of Jackson is a huge pass. We got going down the other side and at one point is a section of straight road. We were flying by cars and just barely got it into the 60's. It made me nervous and once was enough in my life.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6107830

I'm trying to up the distance that I can average over 20 mph and Friday evening I made it to 50 miles. Saturday I was looking to do it again but as I got going I could tell my legs were shot so I took it easy and saved myself for some golf after.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I don't question your speed so much as your HR. The sensor must not be staying in touch with your body. About 15 years ago I rode from Rexburg to Jackson, Wy and just outside of Jackson is a huge pass. We got going down the other side and at one point is a section of straight road. We were flying by cars and just barely got it into the 60's. It made me nervous and once was enough in my life.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6107830

I'm trying to up the distance that I can average over 20 mph and Friday evening I made it to 50 miles. Saturday I was looking to do it again but as I got going I could tell my legs were shot so I took it easy and saved myself for some golf after.
A quick diversion from cycling to say that your route is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet. Swan Valley is amazing.

Unless there is another route that I don't know about.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
A quick diversion from cycling to say that your route is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet. Swan Valley is amazing.

Unless there is another route that I don't know about.
This route goes up through the Teton Valley (Driggs) which is right at the foot of the Tetons which is pretty spectacular in itself. About once a year we will do a ride up in Swan Valley and I agree with you that is one beautiful area.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This route goes up through the Teton Valley (Driggs) which is right at the foot of the Tetons which is pretty spectacular in itself. About once a year we will do a ride up in Swan Valley and I agree with you that is one beautiful area.
It sounds like I need to try your route some time. I'm all about the mountains.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What kind of GPS unit do you have?
Garmin 305 Forerunner
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #19
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
I don't question your speed so much as your HR. The sensor must not be staying in touch with your body.

Yea the HR was way off. There were times it was reading 0. I tried to reconnect it to the garmin but I think the battery in the strap was dieing.

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 06-30-2008 at 03:18 AM.