cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Dam these pro cyclist.

On a related note does anybody know where I can score some EPO for our little September ride.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Dam these pro cyclist.

On a related note does anybody know where I can score some EPO for our little September ride.
do you have cancer?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
do you have cancer?
Not yet but it runs in my family.

Eddy Merckx
Old 07-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
This even strengthens my opinion that until the teams demand having clean riders, someone is going to cheat. So long Ricco.

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/a...team-withdraws

Ricco is an interesting case. This is an italian that has made no bones about idolizing Pantani (who almost certainly was so full of drugs they were coming out his ears) and has discounted publicly the problmes Pantani had with drugs and so forth. Isn;'t he also one of the riders that had a doctor's certificate staing that he has a very high hematocrit level as a natrual matter? I suppose some people must, but it is amazing how many do in cycling (OTOH, it would be an advantage so maybe it is a chicken or egg sort of thing). As someone said, when he rode away from everybody more than once it looked bad, to me, but not impossible. OTOH, he did look more human on Hautacam, but his two teammates dropped Schleck and all the other climbers like nobody's business, which seemed a little odd to me and Ricco didn't follow, even though he looked under no duress with the lead group. So Ricco tests positive and the whole team voluntarily pulls out? Hmmm. Perhaps not a clean team.

I don't know if cycling is dirtier than other sports or not. I know a woman that was a qualifier for the 2000 olympic track team and she has told me, in private, that she is convinced that all track stars are on something or another. She said she was pressured to take drugs as soon as she got to college and her team was an average college squad. Can there be any question that baseball and football players are taking drugs?

I do know that Cycling tests it athletes more rigorously than any other sport of which I am aware. Every rider in the TdF gave a baseline blood sample before the race and every one is tested periodically during the race, in both scheduled and random tests and stage winner tests and so forth. I think it is cleaner. I think it is better, but it is not perfect, and it may never be perfect. This year they seem more likely to catch peple, however, and that can only be good, in the long run.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

obviously the incentives are still stacked in favor of doping.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're correct. In fact, I believe cycling's cleaner than almost any other sport, but it's not as clean as we wish it would be.
While you have basically zero basis for this belief, you can think it if you wish.

I disagree with mikewaters. baseball's drug policy is a complete joke and the steroid scandal has ruined much of the enjoyment of the game for me. I definitely care.

If cyclists are being caught with such frequency, isnt it safe to assume that cycling is actually extremely dirty, not clean? Seriously, what is your basis for thinking it is cleaner than any other sport? I dont get it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

most baseball fans don't care.

see the adoration for Bonds in SF for example.

I can't name a single player who has been suspended for a year for steroid use. Or freaking suspended even for a day (I don't pay that close attention).
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
most baseball fans don't care.

see the adoration for Bonds in SF for example.

I can't name a single player who has been suspended for a year for steroid use. Or freaking suspended even for a day (I don't pay that close attention).
Two things: you are correct. baseball's drug policy is a complete joke. The players union is to blame because they keep fighting more stringent testing and punishment.

Adoration for bonds in SF WAS great while he was playing. Hatred for Bonds in the rest of the world is even greater.

I think baseball fans have grown apathetic to the drug issue because it is so rampant and neither side really wants to throw down major penalties.

I think cycling is basically the same way, although at least cycling is kicking people out and taking things a bit more seriously. creekster's reaction to my calling cyclists dopers and archaea's (baseless) belief that cycling is cleaner than most other sports indicates that, just like in baseball, there are fans of cycling who want to believe that the scandal is isolated.

Cycling, baseball, NFL, NBA, whatever....these men are competitive athletes. They make their livings off winning, endorsements, success. If cheating is part of the culture, the majority will succumb eventually because they need to remain competitive.

I doubt very highly that the vast majority of athletes in any sport are cheating because they want to break some record that was set 50 years ago. They are doping because they see that most of their competitors are doping, so they need to keep up.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Two things: you are correct. baseball's drug policy is a complete joke. The players union is to blame because they keep fighting more stringent testing and punishment.

Adoration for bonds in SF WAS great while he was playing. Hatred for Bonds in the rest of the world is even greater.

I think baseball fans have grown apathetic to the drug issue because it is so rampant and neither side really wants to throw down major penalties.

I think cycling is basically the same way, although at least cycling is kicking people out and taking things a bit more seriously. creekster's reaction to my calling cyclists dopers and archaea's (baseless) belief that cycling is cleaner than most other sports indicates that, just like in baseball, there are fans of cycling who want to believe that the scandal is isolated.

Cycling, baseball, NFL, NBA, whatever....these men are competitive athletes. They make their livings off winning, endorsements, success. If cheating is part of the culture, the majority will succumb eventually because they need to remain competitive.

I doubt very highly that the vast majority of athletes in any sport are cheating because they want to break some record that was set 50 years ago. They are doping because they see that most of their competitors are doping, so they need to keep up.
thanks for admitting that I am right, and you were wrong.

Name a single sponsor or advertiser who has pulled out of baseball due to doping.

You can't.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Pantani (who almost certainly was so full of drugs they were coming out his ears)
That made me laugh.

Eddy Merckx