cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EliteXC continues to ruin MMA.........

First of all they had a solid showing with a 4.65 rating which is excellent considering they were competing with the baseball playoffs and College football.

However Seth Petruzelli the man that knocked out Kimbo. Came out yesterday and said:

"When they came back and offered me the fight, the EliteXC officials hinted at a bigger payday if I stood with Kimbo and avoided the ground game."

The next day he comes out and says that it was a knockout bonus which is very common. However Benji Radach who fought on the undercard then said:

"I was never told about any knockout bonus. They just didnt want Kimbo to get dominated on the ground."

Jake Shields who fought on the card also said that he felt like the referees were trying to keep fights standing to entertain the crowd, he had full mount several times and the ref kept threatening to stand it up and told him to work eventhough he was dominating his opponent.

Roy Nelson who fought Andrei Arlovski also complained about quick standups when he had dominant positions n Arlovski.

This is why you dont have boxing promoters in MMA. This is ridiculous.

Also VP of ELiteXC Jared Shaw who was going crazy when Kimbo lost and was yelling for the ref not calling shots in the back of the head. Said he was sorry and that he was not rooting for anyone, that he just wanted the fight to be fair. LOL. He said he is happy now they have two superstars.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Jake Shields who fought on the card also said that he felt like the referees were trying to keep fights standing to entertain the crowd, he had full mount several times and the ref kept threatening to stand it up and told him to work eventhough he was dominating his opponent.
Refs are hired by the athletic commissions of the hosting states. They aren't employees of EliteXC, UFC, Affliction, etc.

Quote:
Roy Nelson who fought Andrei Arlovski also complained about quick standups when he had dominant positions n Arlovski.
I don't recall Roy ever been in any dominant position with Arlovski.

Talking about horrible refs, have you seen the score cards and refs of any recent UFC cards? There exist no uniform rules or scoring qualifications. Thus inconsistency is the name of the game in MMA and I think this is where a WAMMA organization could do the sport good.

Quote:
Also VP of ELiteXC Jared Shaw who was going crazy when Kimbo lost and was yelling for the ref not calling shots in the back of the head. Said he was sorry and that he was not rooting for anyone, that he just wanted the fight to be fair. LOL. He said he is happy now they have two superstars.
Everyone knew Kimbo was a joke as far as MMA quality fighting goes. But can't hate the player nor the organization for promoting him. Who doesn't mind watching a bad bare knuckle brawler mix it up in the ring? It's dudes like him that laid the foundation for the sport 15 years ago and who bring in a new crowd of watchers today.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Refs are hired by the athletic commissions of the hosting states. They aren't employees of EliteXC, UFC, Affliction, etc.

I don't recall Roy ever been in any dominant position with Arlovski.

Talking about horrible refs, have you seen the score cards and refs of any recent UFC cards? There exist no uniform rules or scoring qualifications. Thus inconsistency is the name of the game in MMA and I think this is where a WAMMA organization could do the sport good.

Everyone knew Kimbo was a joke as far as MMA quality fighting goes. But can't hate the player nor the organization for promoting him. Who doesn't mind watching a bad bare knuckle brawler mix it up in the ring? It's dudes like him that laid the foundation for the sport 15 years ago and who bring in a new crowd of watchers today.

Roy is saying he was in half guard a few times. I agree with you on the refs but dont act like the crowd doesnt sway them. Also it is not Kimbos fault we would run with it as well. But seriously did you see Jared Shaw during the fight? Also giving guys money for standing with Kimbo, thats a joke.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

stop whining. UFC went down the PPV road, and while that is brining in $ and creating hardcore fans, it is limiting exposure to middle of the road people.

EliteXC is filling that niche in the market.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Roy is saying he was in half guard a few times. I agree with you on the refs but dont act like the crowd doesnt sway them. Also it is not Kimbos fault we would run with it as well. But seriously did you see Jared Shaw during the fight? Also giving guys money for standing with Kimbo, thats a joke.
The replay of the knockout was classic with the dude in the background, I assume Shaw, that was freaking out.

Kimbo's a freak show who is actually enjoyable to watch fight. That's what makes MMA exciting the possibility that some huge ass dude might kill somebody.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
The replay of the knockout was classic with the dude in the background, I assume Shaw, that was freaking out.

Kimbo's a freak show who is actually enjoyable to watch fight. That's what makes MMA exciting the possibility that some huge ass dude might kill somebody.
Yeah that was Shaw, he starts screaming about him getting hit in the back of the head, and then he rips out his ear piece and throws it down.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
stop whining. UFC went down the PPV road, and while that is brining in $ and creating hardcore fans, it is limiting exposure to middle of the road people.

EliteXC is filling that niche in the market.
The UFC has done more free shows this year than the EliteXC. They also have a free show in October, December and January.

They tried to work out a network deal but the networks wanted to control the production and the UFC wouldnt relinquesh the rights to that. I dont blame them after watching the first EliteXC production. Now however the EliteXC is doing a nice job with their production so hopefully that will reopen talks with the UFC and a network TV deal.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is why you dont have boxing promoters in MMA. This is ridiculous.
I love how Shaw Sr "resigned" but is still retained by EliteXC as a consultant. Elite's cards will always come under scrutiny because of the Shaws involvement.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

The sad thing is, Kimbo would knock out Lidell. Chuck has the weakest chin in the sport. It's amazing he lasted so long. Rampage barely knicked him, and he was out. His last fight proved it wasn't a fluke.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
The sad thing is, Kimbo would knock out Lidell. Chuck has the weakest chin in the sport. It's amazing he lasted so long. Rampage barely knicked him, and he was out. His last fight proved it wasn't a fluke.
I think it's safe to say Kimbo doesn't have a strong chin as well. If Rampage barely knicked Chuck, what would you call Petruzelli's shot on Kimbo?
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote